Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a 4-wheeler, probley try to find a 06' hold over or get a used one. What would you guys recomend I am thinkin a Honda trx250ex, a Suzuki Z250, or Mabey an Arctic Cat DVX 250. One thing I dont like is the Arctic Cat is not a manual, But at the Sport Center they said they want to get ride of one so they would sell me a brand new 06 for 2900 which I thought was really cheap but I dont want to get it and have it falling apart on me. I would be mudding alot, and be jumpin some not big jumps just field drive ways and mabey a little on our dirt bike track.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The 250EX is a rather low maintinence machine with a semi-auto transmission and shaft drive if I remember correctly...and from past experience jumping, shaft drives doesnt last too long, and if stuff breaks, it gets expensive quick.

Personally, I have a Yamaha warrior and it does pretty good in the mud and water with good 22" Mudlites on it, handles bumps and jumps pretty well too. The new Raptor 350 is the same as the warrior and would be a good option if your looking for a trail/mud, but low maitience quad.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
None of those quads are going to be any good for mud or big jumps. You are never going to have a quad that is good for both. You need a 4x4 for mud, but 4x4s cant withstand the stress of jumping and while sport quads are fine for jumping, they have low ground clerance and the lack of 4x4 makes them bad for mud.
The closest thing you would have for a quad that does both is a Polaris Scrambler or a Yamaha Wolverine. The problem is, both of those quads are out of your price range.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, what would you recomend just for jumping then because I will probley be doing more jumping with this atv because we already have a 4X4 atv.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
It depends how much you are looking to spend. For jumping I would suggest a 450, either a Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki or even the new Kawi 450 would be great for jumping.
The are really the only quads that come right from the factory built for serious jumping.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
You could probably get a decent used 450 for that much. It would have to be an '04 or '05 though.
To be honest, if you want to do big jumps you would be better off with a dirtbike. They are a lot better for jumping than a quad, there is less chance of getting hurt on a bike vs on a quad and you can buy a good used dirtbike for cheap.
Just make sure you get a 2-stroke bike, they are a lot cheaper to own than a 4-stroke.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Octane, I actually race dirt bikes, so I have alot of exsperience on them I just thought it would be fun to have a quad for messin around on. All my friends now have 250 and 300ex so I was thinkin somthing that I could ride with them. I would still be jumpin my dirt bike on the bigger jumps but just for riding my 4-wheeler to work and friends houses and stuff but I would probley be jumping field drive ways and stuff and we have a motocross practice track so I would probley mess around on there with it too.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A sport center by us has a 02 yamaha warrior for sale for 1700 I thought that was a pretty good deal but I havent seen it yet I just called them.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Waterboy
[br]The 250EX is a rather low maintinence machine with a semi-auto transmission and shaft drive if I remember correctly...and from past experience jumping, shaft drives doesnt last too long, and if stuff breaks, it gets expensive quick.

Personally, I have a Yamaha warrior and it does pretty good in the mud and water with good 22" Mudlites on it, handles bumps and jumps pretty well too. The new Raptor 350 is the same as the warrior and would be a good option if your looking for a trail/mud, but low maitience quad.
what year is your warrior I just went and looked at a 02' warrior and its ok but started hard and the guy said probley just a battery.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
ok i ahve a 250 recon that has the exact same motor as the 250 ex but it has something that gives it more pep..forgot what it was called but mainly the same. ok shft drive is nice cause theres no chain/sprocket maintenece or slipping. but the 250 is reather small i find. id say look for an 03-04-05 300ex chain drive and fully manual

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Originally posted by Ski-Doo-Summit
[br]
Originally posted by Waterboy
[br]The 250EX is a rather low maintinence machine with a semi-auto transmission and shaft drive if I remember correctly...and from past experience jumping, shaft drives doesnt last too long, and if stuff breaks, it gets expensive quick.

what year is your warrior I just went and looked at a 02' warrior and its ok but started hard and the guy said probley just a battery.
Mine is a 1987, first year they produced them, and still in really nice shape...I was having problems starting and it was the one-way bearing/gear that wore out after 20 years, took the starter apart, cleaned it all up, and put a new battery on it and now it starts like a brand new wheeler.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You should look into the Yamaha blasters. They are super light and will blow away your friends 250 4 strokes, yes it is a 2 stroke but they are awesome quads. My family has had one since 1996 and my brother and I beat the crap out of it and it still runs fine. Replaced the rings a year or 2 ago but thats it. I also have a Honda recon and form what people are saying it has the same motor as the 250ex. it doesn't compare to the blaster also they are pretty cheap to.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Originally posted by Octane
while sport quads are fine for jumping, they have low ground clerance

My trailblazer 250 has more ground clearance than most 4x4 quads.and with better tires it would be a tank.but it also cant get out of its own way in the snow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts