Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Where is your favorite area to ride in Lower Michigan? I'm planning a first annual trip with my Dad and Father in-law and we've never been on any part of the groomed trail system. I'm looking specifically at the Northwest & Southwest quadrant of Michigan on fishweb.com but I have no real experience to go on other than what I read online.

I'm in the Cleveland area and would like to find a place within 6 hours max and from what I can see that puts me in the area of Houghton Lake or Cadillac. I'm open to anywhere but from what I read the further north is best because they get more lake effect...

Anybody have any recommendations of where to go and or where to stay? It'd be awesome to find a place that we could stay at and ride from our door to the trails.

Thank you for your help!
Todd

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hello fellow Clevelander!

If you want to go up a group of us is planning on going up this weekend Jan 15-17ish. (That all hinges on the snow conditions) You'd be more than welcome to join up with us. I have been up there several times. Grayling/Gaylord seem to be about the most popular places to stay because you can go off in just about every direction. I have rode almost all over northern half of the LP. Cadillac is also a nice area as well. Just check with the trail conditions and head for the area with the most snow. That's pretty much how we plan it out.

What area of Cleveland are you from? I'm out east and we actually have a decent little trail system out here. Your welcome to come ride sometime just get in touch.

·
Registered
250 Posts
www.lostpinelodge.com
Stay there a few times a year and cant give one complaint to you, always have a blast. Ride from your door to the trails literally. Trail access to anywhere you would need to go. Def worth checkin out IMO...

·
Registered
250 Posts
http://www.trailreport.com/ [thumb]
The lost pines site gives you a report there as well...

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
doing a group ride in Mancelona this saturday 1-15-2011..check out the group ride section. Pray for system snow because even with the 20 inches that the Mancelona area saw friday and saturday the trails are down to dirt. The groomer told me there were so many trucks and trailers at the blue bear park and ride he could not get the groomer through the lot. He turned around and went back. They are calling for a large storm next Saturday......

·
Registered
449 Posts
I always suggest the Cadillac/Mancelona area. But yes, we got close to 24 in. down by me. But with the insane amount of traffic this weekend it is pretty beat up out there. X2 for system snow. Lake effect is an added bonus, but we need system snow to make a base. Since Tennessee and Kentucky steal all of our systems, we get only two days of riding out of 24in. of snow???? I'm about over this winter, and tired of digging my house out, and not having good trails to ride on. Mother Nature needs to throw us a fricken bone here.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea that's hard to believe, I just talked to a guy at wolf lake resort in Baldwin...he said some areas got 20" or so of snow but its basically shot now. Lake effect is sweet...but it doesn't amount to much when it packs down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts