Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!! Thats all I've got to say! On Sat I put in a white EPI spring in my primary (replacing the stock Polaris gold spring) and a yellow EPI spring in my secondary (replacing the stock Polaris red spring).

This bumped my stock engagement of 4000 rpm up to around 4500 to 4600 rpm. This thing now pulls like there's no tomorrow! I mean its like I'm riding a TOTALLY different sled!

I still need to order a new EPI multi angle helix and buttons, but that will have to wait for a couple of weeks. Got a big trip coming up next week.

But if anyone is looking for an inexpensive performance upgrade to their sled, I've got three words: Clutching, clutching, clutching! Absolutely amazing! [}:)][8D]

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Will you come up and clutch mine? I'll pay your way in beer and brats.

dan...afraid of clutches

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Lol, that sure would be a drive for him. Clutching is always the first place i'd look for a performance gain, glad it worked out!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh man, now when I mash down on the throttle, I can really feel my arms stretch out, I mean I really have to hold on. Its a beautiful thing! [:D]

If you were a little closer pigboy, I'd gladly give you a hand. But MN quite a drive from Maine. However the look on your face after you came back from a ride with the new clutch components installed would be priceless! [:D]

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Tfin why not come up to caribou and do mine. where ya from. I am looking to upgrade my clutch a little bit too. I am hoping to really wake it up. Right now its got a blue spring on it what should i get. And what kind of helix do you recommend. Glad to hear about your clutching.

·
Registered
975 Posts
[:D]Cool Tfin, love it when people do upgrades and it works out for them. Well worth the money I take it? I imagine you'll notice more of a difference when the helix goes in. Glad to hear it. [8D]

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you need help clutching, I could lend a hand, I just put a EPI Pro kit in my XLT and I'm in Minnesota...

lemme know

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by chipper10shawn
[br]Hey Tfin why not come up to caribou and do mine. where ya from. I am looking to upgrade my clutch a little bit too. I am hoping to really wake it up. Right now its got a blue spring on it what should i get. And what kind of helix do you recommend. Glad to hear about your clutching.
I'll actually be staying up on the old Loring Airforce Base all next week for a snowmobile trip.

Best thing is to contact EPI through their website and request a free cataloge. It gives the stock Polaris spring in the primary and secondary, then their recomendation for for thier upgraded springs for each sled. You can pretty much put your own clutch kit together with that cataloge, and ist a lot more inexpensive than buying the pre packaged kit. Pretty easy to install too.

I recomend this for anyone looking for extra snap in their sled's performance!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Tfin,

Thanks for the great advice. I've been considering making some clutching changes, so this post was very helpful. Now for a stupid question: I don't have any clutching experience, and have been known to be a little mechanically challenged at times[:I]. Do the springs come with instructions for installation? I have the Clymer manual but I'm still nervous about clutching...

Thanks,
-Mike

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you buy the "clutch kit" it should come with complete instructions. I simply ordered the individual components seperately which saves you MAJOR coin! However if you do order the individual springs, helix, etc, no.....you don't get any instructions. But if you say you've got a Clymer manual for your sled, then thats all you need. You're basicly just changing parts (primary spring, secondary spring, helix, and buttons). So if you have that, you should be all set. Just read through the sections a few times that cover clutching (inspection, disasembly, reasembly etc) and you should get a good feel for how its done.

Good luck, and like I said before......I HIGHLY RECOMEND THIS!!!! You'll think you bought a brand new sled!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL! I know hu? I read down through some of my previous post......hell, I've almost convinced myself I work for EPI or something! [:D]

Of course I don't, I was just really impressed with the difference it made in my sled (obviously [;)] )

I'll go back in my corner now...........heh, heh.....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks Tfin, I'll read over the clutching section to get a feel for it. I'm always a little reluctant to try things like this (I can almost strip a screw just by looking at it!!! [:p]).

Thanks again... Good stuff...

-Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts