Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm looking for a solid GPS for my sled...something that I can mount and that will stay on through the rough and tumble. I don't want something "too" expensive but if there are some out there that I could hook up to a laptop computer and use in real time with a display on the computer, that would be my first option. I'm sure they are more expensive though. What do you guys use or recommend?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Garmin has always been good if only i could figure the damn thing out, its expensive i can hook it up to my comp but i dont know how to use it, lawrance has some sweet gps technology for fish finders like good technology check them out too!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Have a garmin gps60c. I've froze it twice, been floating while fishing , bounced tumbles you name it.Pretty impressed, it's military grade.
You have this used now pretty cheap.
For free you get mapsource and the usb drivers for the pc. You can load nroute for voice navigation and the full active laptop screen.
You do need to buy a copy of metroguide, wheich does the street and trips routing with the maps to download.
For mounts use Ram stuff, I tired the garmin marine mount and just moved too much.
If your looing for feture, watch the ram, and screen size.
Neat part it;s easier to grab spped reading and the bread crumb information to see where you have been.
Few fourms have gps map or tracks sharing, check what the common format is.

118 1/15/2005 1:07:45 PM 1095 ft 462 ft 00:00:03 105 mph 215° true N48 11.867 W81 16.588
117 1/15/2005 1:07:42 PM 1096 ft 805 ft 00:00:06 91 mph 198° true N48 11.931 W81 16.593
196 1/15/2005 2:05:51 PM 1182 ft 473 ft 00:00:03 107 mph 314° true N48 07.239 W81 15.093
214 1/15/2005 2:07:05 PM 1167 ft 488 ft 00:00:03 111 mph 15° true N48 08.296 W81 15.565
254 1/15/2005 2:09:42 PM 1117 ft 477 ft 00:00:03 108 mph 309° true N48 10.427 W81 16.419
660 1/15/2005 3:00:10 PM 1177 ft 614 ft 00:00:04 105 mph 176° true N47 56.467 W81 16.234
796 1/15/2005 3:13:24 PM 1163 ft 511 ft 00:00:03 116 mph 199° true N47 50.223 W81 14.753

Good hunting.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Here's my setup.
[attachment=49633]
The unit itself is a Garmin eTrex Legend C. It is held on by the optional mounting kit. I used the permanent adhesive (super sticky "doughnut") mount. Its two seperate pieces; The permamently mounted base, and the actuall piece that holds the gps unit.
It jiggles and vibrates a little, so sometimes it will come up with a screwy reading.
I had one last year that said I shot down a dead end road and back in about one second, for a top speed of 100 some-odd miles an hour. I think the signal bounced off a road sign or something.
I like the unit, although I'm still learning it.
Its come in handy a couple times, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
We got a free Garmin etrex vista cx hiking companion that my dad got from an elevator we haul grain to. I am going to try and figure it out today, I'm not sure how much it cost, but probably not too much since we got it for free. Right now I don't know much more than that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Garmin Csx or the Cx is the one you want. The "x" model has the expandable memory card and newer techology for acquiring signal. The "s" model has a barometer and better compass I believe.
They have a large colour screen and work well in the cold. You'll want a RAM mount to mount it on your sled. Install a 12V hookup and you're set to go!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Polaris-Dave is right on!!!! that is the same set-up my buddy ahs and has had no problems except when riding when very-very cold then he just carries it in hic jacket in an inside pocket so it doesn't freeze up. They are very nice to have if you do alot of off trail and backwoods riding.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
P dave said it, and i will attest to the RAM mounts. I have used them on snomobile for fishing, and on the wheeler, and on my boat and they stand up to whatever you can throw at them.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
both my dad and me use garmin 60cs and 60csx. they are expensive but well worth it the software you can load and use is amazing. im still learning but my dad can use his to its fullist. he can even get weather updates on his somehow. which is cool but gps units are worth the money and you also get what you pay for as far as function and software use.imo they pay for themselve the minute your lost and have to find your way back. hte best thing is to go look at all the units your intrested in and write a list of function you want or need and find the best one that is a comprimise of price and useability. the unit also has to be easy to use so some one who is not trainned on it can use its most basic functions. my dad does only back country riding and also teachs native people in northern canada in search and resuce and resouce management. so he look at thing from a simple view. if you get hurt while out riding would the rest of your group know how to use it to direct people to your aid if they did not know where you were.

cheers

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Garmin 76s is what I use. Mounted to handlebar with a wrist strap attached to same in case it comes loose or I dump the sled. I have a 12 volt battery accessory plug for power plus AA battery backup. I can download all of Garmin's topomaps, both Canada and US. Can Make your own maps. Keeps tracks and waypoints like most of the units. Downside is I can't seem to print out my tracks unless I save them as a computer window screen. Check out my sled website to see what the tracks and topo look like.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the information everyone. I'll probably look into a Garmin of some sort then. I'm still not sure how I'd mount it to my sled so it is safe and not too exposed to a rollover. I guess we'll see.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
^ I am mounting my Garmin etrex legend to my handle bars with the neat handle bar mount they sell. I had the mount on my motorcycle and mountain bike. I have a windshield mount for my car for it also. Its got a small screen but its cheap and does the job. In my auto I hook it up to a laptop for live readings on a big map just as you stated.
[attachment=37883]
[attachment=9143]

Edit- That last picture shows my old garmin GPS.. my legend is now in its place of course. I blurred the map screen as I dont need anyone knowing where I live.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Matt, what exact model do you have?

·
Registered
115 Posts
This is a really cool idea.
It looks like the one that Polaris -Dave recommended is definately a good one to get...the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx.
http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60csx/

Is it possible to create your own trail map with one of these? Sort-of record where you've been and then turn it into a map of sorts?
I think I read something about a "bread crumb" feature?

I'm just imagining how cool it would be to be cruising through the woods on the Gunflint Trail up near the Canadian border and be able to know exactly where I am all the time.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Originally posted by erick
[br]Matt, what exact model do you have?
Garmin Etrex Legend

I am about to pay 20$ and link it up with google earth [:D]

I just seen them for 100 bucks on a day after thanksgiving sale. Thats cheap!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
[attachment=49830]

Attachments

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Matt, you beat me to it.
There are just a couple differences between Matt's gps and mine.
1. mine has a color screen
2. mine has a little more memory
3. mine costs more - see above two
Other than that, they are the exact same thing. Originally, I was gonna get that one, but I figured if I got that one, I'd want (or for whatever reason NEED) the color version.
With my 10% discount, and the extra 10% discount on one item (a christmas bone they throw us) I paid $208 and change for mine.
----------- You've seen 'em for A HUNDRED BUCKS?????? -----------
Damn! That's a great deal!

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
^ I bought my Black and White legend for 100 bucks someone had forsale locally online.

They are all over ebay at a great deal to. Its a NEAT unit for the price. I got the mapsource cd's also so i can tell you where to eat and their phone numbers anywhere we are :)

I used it on my trip down south once. We used it to find us hotels with the laptop plugged in.

I am sorta a gps nut as I was big into geocaching. They have a great forum on GPS's and their reviews.
Here they are http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?s=6f874aac39bf8ac58d71f638744483e8&showforum=11
And here is their part of the forum where they sell units http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?s=6f874aac39bf8ac58d71f638744483e8&showforum=13

There is actually a like new 2 month old unit like mine on there for 110 shipped.. its a very active forum as geocachers live and breathe gps's.

Hope I was of assistance and if you have any questions let me know. I use mine daily. All gps's are good, if you get good enough at using them. I know people with kick ass gpsr's and they would get lost in their own backyard.

The only negative thing I have heard about GPSR's on snowmobile's is screen refresh rates (cold air slows that down). You can also hook it up to run off the power of your sled and stay lit on your dash at all times. Mine has saved my butt on the sled for sure. Our local club now even has all the trails in a gps track you can download off their site. Very cool!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I stick a handwarmer behind the unit, between the mount and unit each morning before I ride. The 12-hr warmers seem to work best. Keeps things barely warm down to -12F based on ly experiences.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I'll end up with one Dave has, as long as it does everything Matts does with the addition of more memory and the color screen. The google earth thing sounds very interesting! I'd love to do that. Is it some software you have to buy or some sort of subscription?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts