Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddies getting studs, and wants something cheap, thats durable. They don't have to be hi performance, just added traction. We ride trails and lakes, and maybe the odd road, but we try and to our best to stay away from them. Hes sled is a 2002 mxz 800.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Shade Tree had some studs and backers that are like 20% cheaper than the name brand studs. They're made for Shade Tree by a name brand company. They also come with a two yr warrenty against bending and breaking. 96 1 inch hardend stainless steel studs with a 60 deg carbide insert is only $109.00! By looking at the stud, they look like they might be the Fast Trac Top Gun II studs.

That price, with that kind of warrenty......I don't think you can go wrong. I'm going to be getting 120 of em for my sled.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tfin I will let him know.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I got mine for $1 apiece- studs nut and backer(choice of aluminum or plastic round or square)2 year bend or break Warranty.Have had them on my XLT for 2 years with no problems so I bought 144 for my Triumph. He has them on his web page for $1.40 apiece complete. I got them at a show. Maybe he can do a better price if you tell him that he was selling them at shows in WI,IL and MI for $1?

http://www.richmotorsports.com/studs2.html
I also think these are the ones Shadetree is selling.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Your buddy's sled has a 1" lug "paddle" if he's running the stock track, so you're going to be looking at 1.075", 1.175", or 1.25" stud heights. Why Ski-Doo put a 1" lug a muscle sled is another topic altogether though.

I'm running 144 - 1.25” Woody's down the middle, in an effort to curb added weight, yet keep top end, while providing enough traction out-of-the-hole to walk past the buddy's, but maintain cornering. I've made some summertime mods, so I'm sure I'll need to add a couple more this winter.

Fortunately for your buddy, though, he's running Ski-Doo's new dual carbide ski, so he won't need to worry about the sled's desire to go straight once you guys add the new studs!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah those skis are amazing, He can stear that thing better on pavement then I can stear mine on snow. lol Thanks for all the input guys.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Originally posted by Jakyll
[br]Your buddy's sled has a 1" lug "paddle" if he's running the stock track, so you're going to be looking at 1.075", 1.175", or 1.25" stud heights. Why Ski-Doo put a 1" lug a muscle sled is another topic altogether though.
The answer is easy. That is not Ski Doo's muscle sled. their muscle sled is the triple/triple MACH Z which has the .88 track.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Originally posted by ACEXLT
[br}

The answer is easy. That is not Ski Doo's muscle sled. their muscle sled is the triple/triple MACH Z which has the .88 track.
Ouch Ace! You don't consider Ski-Doo's largest twin (for now) a muscle sled! Boy, you are a die-hard triple-man!

Double Ouch! All that torque sent to a .88" lug! What was Ski-Doo thinking? And I call mine a "Trench Dig'R!"

--Jakyll

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Jakyll, first let me say you have a nice all around sled. Kinda the best of both worlds. In my opinion though, calling a twin a muscle sled is like calling one of them high horsepower 4 cyl. cars out nowdays a muscle car.(NOT!) Don't be upset it's just my opinion. Muscle sleds are considered as speed sleds and a long lug paddle is useless on hard pack and for lake racing, thus the shorter lugs, which I consider studding a must.All manufacturers have 1" lugs or less on their muscle sled tracks. Even the RX-1 only has a 1" lug on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought 144 last year on-line from a site called: http://www.jumpstartracing.com/

Great to deal with. Heavy duty stainless steel coated with red plastic backers for about a buck a piece. I can't remember if I paid extra red backers or not. I know standard aluminum were included in the price.

good luck

·
Registered
39 Posts
Spend the $$$ and get the Woodys. Every year my buddies go to the sled show and buy these buck a piece jobs, with the warrenty and all that. The key phrase here is EVERY YEAR.

The damn things just wear too much. The metals are too soft and they wear quickly. Yea, the woodys might cost a little more, but the quality is there. I can give any a name of a place that can sell Woody's at almost dealer cost, to anyone over the counter (No hotrod, this is not my personal buissnes LOL)

I can get Woody's at dealer, but I just buy from Erskine Marine the price is that good.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Well I have had my buck apiece studs on for 2 years/1800 miles and they still look great! I am happy with them and bought another set for my Triumph. Woody's sponsers eveything thats why you pay through the nose for them. In my opinion they aren't any better than the Extreme Max studs.

If I knew the owners and people who worked for Woody's I would talk them up too!

·
Registered
39 Posts
All I know is my studs last 2 to 1 to the ones my buddy's buy at the sled shows. Im not hyping their product cause I know them, just cause of the durability.

I am more than willing to show anyone where to buy about 1.45 a stud with backers.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Woodys are great, we use them on are ice sled. 500 mile races, at the end. A couple tore up lugs and windows but all studs as sharp as before the race. (and still there!)

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Woody's did not even start making stainless steel studs until this year. Hi-Perf Eng. wants $2 apiece for just the stud & nut.

I'm still trying to figure out what Woody's is doing??? They completly changed their stud patterns and application guide in the last 2 weeks.For my Triumph ,it used to be 96-120-144, now its 72-96-120.

·
Registered
39 Posts
ACEXLT - The only reason that Woody's started to make SS studs is becaue of customer demand. While the SS stud is not as tough as the regualr gold diggers,, enough people kept asking, even though this was theroughly explained.

Stainless (the grede used to make studs) is not as durable as the 1040 regular sttel that woodys uses for the GDs. The GDs will hold up better than any other Carbide stud IMHO.

Want to know what is the most durable stud you will use? I use T-Nut style Pics in my trail sled. While there is no carbide, and as long as you are very easy going across any cement of asphault, they are very durable. SInce they have not been annealed by soldering in the carbide, they are tough. I had a set in my MXZ for over 2400 miles of trail riding. I have since sold the track and gone 1.25 paddle.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
MMP ,thanks for the info on the Woody's S.S. studs.

Have another question....If the Gold Diggers are so tough, why can't Woody's offer a LIFETIME no bend-no break warranty like Saber does with their Warthog and Top Gun XZP's. www.sabertraction.com.

·
Registered
330 Posts
How about the studs they installed on that RX-1 that they drove 10,000miles? Check out the Oct/Nov 2003 edition of Snowtech. They installed 144 Roetin "Hornet" stainless steel studs (center belt only) with fast-trac round plastic backers. Not a single one was missing or bent! I donno, I'm sure they guy didnt hammer on it like I would have. but 10k miles is VERY impressive

1 - 20 of 27 Posts