Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best up grades for a 2000 Arctic Cat Thundercat 1000? Most power for your buck. Once again thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
I know 2000TCMC will be on later and has plenty of help for you on this sled. He just got done doing a whole bunch of good stuff.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I do believe the airbox is the first area that needs attention. A buddy of mine got a 2000 t-cat last year and at first it was a total pig, could barely get away from my 650 and my buddies F7 spanked it silly. But he did a couple free mods, rebuilt the carbs(sled had sat for 2 seasons) then proceeded to run 98mph in 600 ft in a radar run. Thats purty damn fast. Also you will want to look into clutching as well.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Darkstar is right, 2000TCMC will have some good ideas. I don't know your experience, so forgive me if I'm stating the obvious to you. Bigger cc motors respond well to aftermarket reeds and I agree that getting more air is a factor too. Don't waste too much of your time and money on clutching until you've got other mods done that you are considering. Unless your tweaking low and mid ranges, most mods should increase your peak rpm (if it doesn't, then what did you gain from the mod?). Whatever pipe you have on it has a specific range that it needs to run at in order to produce maximum power. You have to match your revs to whatever the pipe is tuned for and the only way to do this is by adjusting the primary clutch.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
There are a lot of Mods that can be done.?? what type of riding do you do. Is it a short track or a MC. I put boysen reeds, & D&D pipes on mine this summer. Depending on the type of riding you do a Holtzman ATACC is one of the better mods for the money. Keeps you jetted correctly at all temps & altitudes. I added a top torque bracket to mine to save on crank bearing where. For mountain riding I added 151" track & tunnel ext. and the 03 MC bars. Haven't had a chance to dial in the clutching yet but I added a set of heavy hitters (adjustable weights) to dial in the rpms. I went to a 2001 CDI bot (I guess the 2000 box timing map is not very good after mods have been done. The D&D pipes make there power at 85-8600 with the 2001 CDI but at 88-8900 with the 2000. (Same horsepower just sooner). PM me if you have any specific questions.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help. I was thinking of putting on boysen reeds and K&N air filters. It will give me a start anyway. Most of my riding is in mid-deep power, and lots of hill climbs.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
So it is a Mountain Cat not a short track?
Depending on your height, the 03 MC bars may be one of the best mods I have made. I can stand up now without bending over. I'm 6'5" so this is a big deal for me.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it is a Montain Cat with a 136" track
and i am 6'2"

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The mods I did this summer work great.
I added 144" rails from an 01 MC uses the bigger rear wheels. Remounted the skid back 3-1/2" and added a 151" track. Put on the 03 MC bars needed new throttle block to fit the new bars. Added D&D pipes and Boysen reeds, I added a Holtzman ATACC last year to keep it jetted right. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how much fun it is to yard off the air box and change the jets on this beast. Put in a set of Heavy hitter clutch wieghts still need to dial in but it hits way harder on the bottom end the way I have it set up now, just need to dial in the mid and top end. I also added a top torque bracket that fastens my jugs together to save on Crank bearing wear. I changed out the CDI to a 2001 it advances the timing. It was quite a bit of work to pull it all together but it really works great in the deep snow now.
I can just drive through tight areas where before I needed to be on step or be stuck.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have found out that this sled has reed spacers, the head has been shaved 10 thousands of an inch, air box has been removed and pods put in, and the clutch has had work done to it. So I think i will put in boyesen reeds and K&N Air filters with snowchargers. What you you guys think?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
That should work well, although if they added spacers I would almost bet big $ it already has either boysen or Carbon tech reeds in it. Good filters would be an excellent idea either K&N or KickAss filters should work good. What type are the pod filters on there now? Sounds like the thing is set up to go. I wouldn't worry about modifying it to much. Its a big step up from the 580, Its gonna take some time to get used to anyway. Get used to it before you do many mods so you can tell what kind of effect they have on performance. Right now all your gonna know is that it has a lot more power than your used to.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya that was my idea, am going on sunday for the first real run,so i will have a bit of a feel for it after that. Once again thanks for the help 2000tcmc

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
It took me a couple of years before the sled became the limiting factor. It took that long to get the thing figured out good enough so that I could tell what it wasn't doing right.
No problem on the help, I really appreciated the guys saying nice things about the mods as I was getting frustrated putting them together this summer. It helped to have everyones support.
I just happen to know this particular sled pretty well since I basically tore mine completely apart this summer.

Enjoy the power is adicting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts