Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just bought a 1997 xc 440 and anyways the top end was just rebuilt and me and my friends got the engine in and hooked up today. Well now that its in and hooked up what are the first things i should do to get this thing broken in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
Your first tank should be premix for one. Next You should not hold it at WOT or at the same position for along time, you should feather the throttle. Just take her easy for awhile. Also you might want to check the spark plugs after the first ride to make sure the jetting is right. They should be light to cardboard brown.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
skidoo600racer said:
Your first tank should be premix for one. Next You should not hold it at WOT or at the same position for along time, you should feather the throttle. Just take her easy for awhile. Also you might want to check the spark plugs after the first ride to make sure the jetting is right. They should be light to cardboard brown.
x2, I just finished a top-end in one of our sleds, the instructions with the pistons said to run a full tank of 50:1 premix, and take it easy on it and up and down the throttle for the first five hours, then give her hell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
ya and what is it, three tanks till fullybroke in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,922 Posts
I usually go about one tank and then I ride it like I normally do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,449 Posts
make sure that you're using oil too, not just what your putting in the premix. make sure that the oil level in your reservoir is also going down, that is a good indicator that once you stop premixing that there will still be oil going to the motor. After all you don't want to follow up a top end rebuild with a bottom end rebuild...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok and then I read in a couple places that some people like to use semi synthetic oil so would it break in as good if i used full synthetic oil for break in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
474 Posts
I've heard not to use full synthetic for breakin. The purpose of breakin is to seat the rings. This takes some friction to achieve. Just like that link ^^^ says, new oils require more heat to achieve the same wear properties as a traditional oil. So traditional oil is better for breakin and synthetic is better afterward for a long engine life... just my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,108 Posts
dont use synthetic for breakin! Use regular oil for that. synthetic doesnt allow the rings to seat, After its broke in you can switch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Pretty much any mineral oil, you could probably just run like walmart 2 stroke oil in the blue jug. It will only take a few quarts to break in your motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
cameron.demarlie said:
Well I just bought a 1997 xc 440 and anyways the top end was just rebuilt and me and my friends got the engine in and hooked up today. Well now that its in and hooked up what are the first things i should do to get this thing broken in?
ride the sled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,194 Posts
in any manual ive ever recieved before riding your new sled polaris wants you to put a quart of oil in 10 gal. of gas and take it easy for the first tank. personally i wouldnt even hit WOT on the first tank, find a place to ride it where the snow conditions are good and have that place be somewhere wehere you arnt tempted to crack the throttle open. find a spot in the woods where there are tight twisty areas that will allow you to back off the throttle easily and slowly get back on it and vary your RPM range as you go.

play with it, accelerate slow, back off, give it a little more grunt. you cant really go wrong by that. like the others said, dont hold a consistant RPM for any long period of time.

in the process of putting the dragon back together, sucks im gonna have to break it in when i first get out west. im gonna be tempted to rip it haha but ide say the first 70 miles are most crucial.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Empire087 said:
Pretty much any mineral oil, you could probably just run like walmart 2 stroke oil in the blue jug. It will only take a few quarts to break in your motor.
ok awesome then i might be able to go pick up some oil and get it ridden by tommorow
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top