Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get my wife to take up riding sleds. She seems to have no interest, but would like to get her involved in it. It is such a good way to get away at times.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Take her out and see if she has fun. Explain how to ride a sled and pray for the best. She'll either like it or she won't. Unfortunately if she doesn't like it, you'll be riding without her lol. I've tried and tried, finally giving in to failure getting my wife to ride. Boils down to if she doesn't like it, she won't do it. Or she'll complain the whole time, and that ruins your day.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
She has to be comfortable/warm and like the sled shes on. My biggest problem is I drive faster than her at times and it pisses her off. She feels as I am try to run from her.

You need to get her on a sled and drive around a field or open area so she can get accustomed to it and how it reacts/feels.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]My biggest problem is I drive faster than her at times and it pisses her off.
That is one of my problems lol. My wife tells me she has to go faster than she wants just to keep up.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Put her on the front of a 900 Fusion, she will love it. Just kidding, the best way is too let her get used to a sled she feels comfortable on, and take it easy. Then again she may be one who just won't like it. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
keep her warm for one ,biggest complaint of most women riders
another thing is to keep in a pact ,do not race away from them (although i have been around some women were you better kick it in gear)

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
When my wife and I first met, she was a straight up mall girl and had NEVER done anything off road in her life accept for water skiing as a kid.

That was several years ago.

Now she rides an 05 RMK 600, 144 and knows that where we ride, the trail is for other people.

Getting her to that point took some time and it was fun too.
Her first ride was on the back of my sled and I actually stayed on trail since we were 2 up.
She liked it every where but at the end of the 2 hour ride, I showed her what full throttle on a modified Ultra felt like.
That scared her, but just a little as I only put it there to about 65 or so and let off.

From there, I put her on a little XCR 440 that I picked up.
Took her up the trail about 3 miles to this big play area we call 3 corners.
It's not so difficult or steep to really scare her, so she could relax and sort of learn at her own pace.
The trail circles down around below the area, so it's basically impossible to be stuck in there, (I showed her that part first)

I'd have her follow me down through the area a few times first to have a "road paved" for her to follow, and then did the same thing up ward.
On and off the trail we made so that she could learn what it feels like in a safe place.

We had to go there several times before she could advance on, but for her to stay in it, it had to stay fun (fun = less scary to most females at first)

That last part brings up the whole point to my answer.
Let her learn at her pace and only push a LITTLE,
just enough to help her advance as she's ready.
Have patience.

My 2 last suggestions:
Make sure you have a hot dogger as hot food is nice.
Make sure that she is propperly dressed as being cold and wet will ruin it for her.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Make sure you don't get down on her for not going as fast as you and the group. If one of your group complains about the speed make sure you stick up for her.

My wife is just getting into it and she is very concientious about her riding ability. I always tell her that she should not feel that she has to push it.

It will help to spend some time alone with her and teach her how to hang off the side in the corners and absorb the bumps. My friend's wife thinks she is a good rider but it is scary to watch her sit straight up on the seat and turn a corner at 30-40 mph. Its only a matter of time before she doesn't make one.

Hang back with her in the trails and go by her in the open, then come back, then go by her again, then ride with her again in the trails. You may have to compromise a bit but it will be worth it in the end.

Finally, I know it may be tough to swallow if she may or may not get into it, but get her top notch gear. As previously mentioned, if she is comfortable and warm, 75% of the fight will be over.

Once you get her into it, your life will be way easier.

Trev

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Keep 'er warm and go slow.[;)]

edit* Oh yeah, and after your first ride is all done, even if you waited for her at every corner, dug her sled out 10 times, and are surprised she even made it through at all, your statement to her will be this (in your most sincere tone of voice)

"Wow honey, you did great for your first ride, I can't wait to get out there with you again"
[:)]

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Smooth and wide groomed trails are the best to start out on. Steep, narrow ditches with lots of approaches are sure to turn a beginner sour. Remember what you may consider a good length ride, a beginner may consider a really long ride.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Originally posted by RipnChick
[br]waited for her at every corner, dug her sled out 10 times, and are surprised she even made it through at all, your statement to her will be this (in your most sincere tone of voice)

"Wow honey, you did great for your first ride, I can't wait to get out there with you again"
[:)]
Only 10 times?
You were a fast learner. Her first time was getting her unstuck closer to 35 times.

And at the end of the day I smiled and said...
"I'm really proud of how you rode today, at the end you really caught on"
But on the inside.....
"I need a vicoden and a beer, I'm going to die...."

She goes up with me lots now and I really like it that way.
Some (several) hills she thinks I'm nuts for doing and she watches that part,
And then several others she does with not much problem.
She's still not so confident with her side hilling yet and so I pretty much keep her out of bad side hill situations.
She's always getting better and so she will get there.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Originally posted by radianguy
[br]Put her on the front of a 900 Fusion, she will love it. Just kidding, the best way is too let her get used to a sled she feels comfortable on, and take it easy. Then again she may be one who just won't like it. Good luck.
That would defenately get some of them looking forward to a day on the trail.[:D] I don't have that prob, my gf rode with me only 1-2 times 2 up on the little 440, she like it so much she bought her own!
She has trouble keeping up in the ditches, I pound them hard and then stop and wait, then back to pounding. But when we get out in the straights or on a lake, look out. Its not uncommon for her to blow by me at 90 mph.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My fiance doesn't like to ride much anymore.....I will still get her out there but she feels bad we have to wait for her.

She he a tree a few years back. The sled she was riding (one of her dads) wasn't working right and you would push the throttle in and the engine would sometime wait a few seconds to take off. Well, needless to say one of those time she pushed it in.....nothing was happening and all of a sudden a second later the sled took off and she could not control it. Went right into a tree. She had a decent bruise but that was it. It shook her up though and still affects her riding today....[:(]

I think she would get into it again if we could get the other women involved.

·
Registered
368 Posts
NickJ But when we get out in the straights or on a lake said:
Oh yes. My mom will do that sometimes to. You her FRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEMMMMMMM. You look there she is going by you.
My advise is teach her and let her learn the same way you did. If you learned with someone on a sled and they told you " you drive my hands are tired (no there not[:D])" well tell her that. Then get her her own sled. You know the rest[:)]
Jake

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.