Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has been asked before, and if it has, please just point me to the thread.

What is the best way to make a sled quieter? I know some people think loud is great, and I think that I've heard that depending on what you modify you can loose HP. I don't like louder and I am just a trail rider, not a racer so I don't need max. HP.

If I can, I'd love to put these parameters on the answers here:

1. I am not much of a mechanic at all so the simpler the better. Though I am not against taking it to the shop and having something done by there if you think it is worth paying for.

2. There are plenty of threads about whether you like or dislike loud sleds. I don't really need to know how everyone feels about loud sleds, just how to quiet mine.

Thanks for the help!
wes©

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
Alot of times stock is the quietest you're going to find it. Any "Aftermarket Silencer" will probably make it louder. My guess would be that you'd have to make a custom silencer, or have someone make one, to make it quieter. Just my two-cents though...

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
you'll have a hard time making it quieter through exhaust work. If it really means something to you I would research what type of sound deadning material you could add to or replace the exsistng under hood stuff with, could make a huge difference. Just make sure its safe for heat, mold resistent, etc..

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
the stock exhaust is definately the most quiet you'll find.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I think I know what you are asking. A lot of the mid 90s performance models were pretty loud stock. My 97 ZR was the same.

To answer your question on can you make them quieter, the answer is yes and in some case even pick up a little performance to boot.

I changed the stock canister on my ZR to a new style SLP silencer that I modified the inlet to work with my stock pipe. It quited the sled down considerably. It also semms to perform better at mid range and the fuel economy is better.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
an internal stinger. it will really quiet it down. if the stinger coming out of the pipe is 1.25 diameter put about 6" of 1-3/8 tubing inside the end of the exhaust pipe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts