Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the best way to store an engine for extended periods of time that is out of a sled on a shelf. I need info for a heated shop and also for a non-heated shop for this winter here in Iowa.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Give the cylinders alittle oil, rotate engine
plug all holes
wouldn't hurt to rotate things a couple times a month just to move things around

IMO

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Depends on how long you intend on having it sit on the shelf. I refer to it as pickeling. Fill the bottom end with oil plug the holes and turn it over every once in a while. If your shop is heated all the time it would be fine storing it in the heated shop but if you only heat it when you need it the change in temp causes condensation.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. What kind of oil would be the best to fill the bottom end up with and or put down the plug holes? What I run in all my sleds is artic blue oil.

the shop will be heated every now and then. but i am hopeing to change that and put in an electric heater for when i don't have the wood stove stoked.

thanks

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The last time I pickled a motor I just used four stroke oil and filled it up. Worked perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts