Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys what do you think was a really good year for snowmobiling? Like the year they come out with a revolutionary new idea. ex:frame, suspension, motor or something like that. Or a year where the brands had some really solid sleds.

But also post the reasons why you picked the year you did, (or year section)
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
847 Posts
1996-2000 sleds were progressing as was racing bigger better engines reed valves and such more travel

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I would have to say 80-95. Independant started to come one, had some stout little liquids. The centurion 500 doing well The most advancement come during this time. The x-12 was during this period. Efi was performing better than expected.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
I voted for 03-04. The Firecat blew away the competition, the RX-1 showed that a performance 4 stroke was possible, and the Rev completely changed the sled world.

·
Registered
690 Posts
i said 80-85 because of the ifs and the triple motors and liquid cooled sled and thats when the sleds probably improved the most but all sleds till present have been good sleds

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I said 2001-2002 and am looking at Polaris specifically. They came out with the EDGE chassis which was raved upon just by it self. And then there was and still is the 600 Liberty VES motor. Which has also been very well liked by Polaris fans and is known to be a very reliable motor while also having outstanding performance for a 600. With these two combined, alot of magazines were naming it sled of the year and saying it was one of the best combinations on snow. This isn't necessarily huge but deffinately was a big step for Polaris. You still see many of these sleds around and I think the XC SP 600 is the most popular EDGE out there. Correct me if I'm wrong but I do see alot.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I voted for the 1996-2000 year range. My favorite sleds are polaris wedges and during those years (actually '96-'98)the wedges reached their pinnacle in design, performance and looks. Long live the wedge!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by MonsterJay[br]
I voted for 03-04. The Firecat blew away the competition, the RX-1 showed that a performance 4 stroke was possible, and the Rev completely changed the sled world.
Originally posted by Sleds-650
[br]Definitely 2003:
Ski-Doo Rev Chassis
Arctic Cat Firecats
Yamaha RX-1
Polaris Pro-X 6/7/800
Agreed!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Originally posted by TRIPLEB
[br]I voted for the 1996-2000 year range. My favorite sleds are polaris wedges and during those years (actually '96-'98)the wedges reached their pinnacle in design, performance and looks. Long live the wedge!
My exact thaughts.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
ive ridden an 67 which was bad, a 96,97,98 which all kinda rode the same, and a 03 which was like night and day. so i like 03's

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
1980-1995, Racing became more popular, IFS was now on production sleds, Liquid cooled motors became very popular, Sno-X started, three cylinders were seen more in production sleds.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Id say '07. Sleds today are faster, have better suspension, get better fuel economy and are more durable than they have ever been.
I could never have ridden my '90 Indy 400 or my '95 XCR 600 as hard as I can ride my '01 600 XC.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think 1980-1995 in this period they changed from leaf springs and bogie wheels, to IFS, and gas shocks. Im looking mostly at polaris with their indy's.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Originally posted by rev500ss
[br]
[br]Definitely 2003:
Ski-Doo Rev Chassis
Arctic Cat Firecats
Yamaha RX-1
Polaris Pro-X 6/7/800
Agreed!
I also agree.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think 03 - 04 because that was the first year i was able to ride without an adult... probable 96, thats when they came out with the ultra [:)]

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Originally posted by Octane
[br]Id say '07. Sleds today are faster, have better suspension, get better fuel economy and are more durable than they have ever been.
I could never have ridden my '90 Indy 400 or my '95 XCR 600 as hard as I can ride my '01 600 XC.
I am with you. Technology progresses every year, only some years more than others.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Originally posted by pro-x_racer2002
[br]1996-2000 sleds were progressing as was racing bigger better engines reed valves and such more travel
Well, yeah. They were good for racing, but the new sleds are good at everything else.. Carving, mountain climbing, cross contry, boondocking, trail riding

·
Registered
737 Posts
[br]Definitely 2003:

Ski-Doo Rev Chassis
Arctic Cat Firecats
Yamaha RX-1
Polaris Pro-X 6/7/800
03-04 got my vote

·
Registered
871 Posts
Also agree
they had a great SDI engine in the 800 legend and the edge had all the bugs out and it was the last year for thr big bore triple/triples to boot
Originally posted by rev500ss
[br]
[br]Definitely 2003:
Ski-Doo Rev Chassis
Arctic Cat Firecats
Yamaha RX-1
Polaris Pro-X 6/7/800
Agreed!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts