Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this article in today's paper.

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2006/12/18/news/update/doc45870cd0ef612694773865.txt

It's early in the season and you may not think that there is enough snow cause an avalanche, but it can happen. It seemed as though these guys took precautions by having the safety equipment such as beacons etc. He is from about 45 minutes from my hometown. My condolences go out to his family.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
another guy got killed In Alpine Wyoming the same day as well. Buried 2 guys 1 made it out and 1 didnt.

sad indeed.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
My dad was telling me this today. But man, thats kind of scary. We are going up to Cooke City, Montana on the 25th. This will make me think about this when I am up there riding.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Originally posted by WY_rider
[br]another guy got killed In Alpine Wyoming the same day as well. Buried 2 guys 1 made it out and 1 didnt.

sad indeed.
I bet that was the Indian Creek area, bout 12 miles out of alpine, Some extreme steep and deep, that place is known for avalanches, I havent read about them yet, but i'm sure I will. That is very sad.

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
I heard about this, not a good deal. Cooke city has had numerous alalanch deaths over the years.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you guys want to check up read over at Snowest about it. This guy was a great guy and now his family is without a husband and a father because someone didn't have the patience for him to unstuck his sled. When you're out riding make sure that you know what's going on and a the ethical and precautionary steps to take to ensure this doesn't happen to you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When every one is riding and playing on mountians we need to remember avalanches. I often forget about the risks of them when playing around and having fun expecially when concentration on a climb or whatever. Be carefull and play safe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Very Sad indeed. We all know the risks involved with doing these kinds of sports, and it goes to show that common sense and taking all saftey precations possible are a must. In my opinion although im not married, no children which im sure will one day change my opinion on this but... its better to have lived happily doing what you love, than to have been dead the entire time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
its pretty weak that somebody highmarked above him. one of the basic things they tell you in avy class is "one person on the slope at a time, then you dont end up with multiple burials" also, you dont go help your buddy dig his machine out up there if its avy conditions. snowmobilers need to take an avy class if they ride in or near avy terrain. too many guys die for no good reason because they dont have basic equipment and knowledge.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I second that wackie, The single most important thing you take with you is your brain. Avy gear is there for when you forgot to use it.
There have only been a half a dozen times since I took my 3 day field class that I haven't elected to go up the mountain, but thats a half a dozen times I could have been buried. Take the class get the knowledge and use it. I enjoy chatting with everyone on this site don't want to have anyone disappear like Animal did on Snowest. RIP Animal

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wackie, Good Point.
I have only been out in the mountains once and I (Dangerously) never considered these practices. But know that I have read this I will pay more attention THANKS I will explain this preventative precaution with the guys who I will be ridding with this year.
I also had a thought. For flat landers like me who only get out west once a year. It would be nice to have a rent program for the avalanche beacon's. Some guy's I know go out there with out beacons ONLY because they are to cheep to buy one and they think they will avoid avelach areas. "YA-RITE, When They see thoughs hills for the first time they are gone!"
I have to think there are lots of guys like me who would be willing to let someone else use there becone for a trip. I figure, it would be better for them and the sport.
Less dead people on sleds = less hassels with the politicions who always think they need to make changes to save your lives...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts