Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Big Boulder ski resort today on our way home from riding in Central New York yesterday. Met some friends there for the big hill climb / drag races. The Drags were uphill so it was pretty interesting. IT was no where near as extreme a hill as the Hill Climbs were on but it kicked my @$$. I rode the Viper cause I am about 100 lbs lighter than my dad. The hill was really bumpy and rough. THe left side of the track was better than the right as far as bumps go. I wanted to race this 2002 XC 700 and 2002 XC 600. I ride with the guys so we all lined up. THere were like 5 ppl on this like 50 foot wide course. I had been having trouble hooking up most of the day and had already lost to 2 XC 600s do to it. I wasn't losing this time. I had already gone up on the right side once and when I hit the top there is 1 bump RIGHT at the finish line then another one about 25 feet away. The one time I came up real hot and didn't break as soon as I crossed the finish. I hit the second bump real hot and flew a good 5-7 feet in the air and about 15-20 feet out. Anyway Whatever the lights started on the drag race where I was against the 700 and 600. The yellow came on and as most of the ppl that day had been doing the 700 guy takes off. Most of the people were being dumb and trying to time seeing the yellow and when green came but doing a bad job and jumping the start big time. Seeing as it wasn't a competition the ppl running it didn't care. Anyway the 700 took off so might as well put him in another race. The 600 and I which were next to each other were the only 2 out of like 5 of us that waited for green. Anyway I headed up the hill. It was rough but I was out in front of the 600 just keeping the Viper straight as I could. I hit the jump at the finish line and that was that I was done from there. I landed skis first on top of a big bump. That through me almost over the bars but I held it togehter. But while still recovering from that I hit the second big bump that i had jumped off of before. This time I jumped but the sled didn't. Bucked me right off balance and onto the one side. I was now just barely barely hanging onto the side. Then I lost all footing and fell off. I was still holding the bars however. I got dragged a good 20 feet then when I saw the sled was just about ready to roll over I let go. It coasted to a stop right ont he edge of about a 30 foot drop. It just bumped into a little tiny evergreen tree and stopped with 1 ski over this drop. My buddies on the 600 and 700 ran over and helped me pull it back onto the ground. I went to go back down the hill and realized that I had hit with so much force on the first jumped that I actually broke the throttle lever. It was still useable but it was broken in half and that half was gone. That lever also cut my hand when I got bucked onto the one side of the sled. So I luckily walked away with nothing more than a cut on my hand, scrape on my knee, mud all over my left side and snow in my pocket. Oh and in all that my pack of mints in my pocket fell out. Damnit :( I was really lucky I wore my coat. I had already made 2 runs up in just a TShirt cause it was real warm out but this time my dad made me put my coat on. I would be a lot more scratched up if I hadn't done that. haha just found my thing of mints in my other pocket. Ok I am fine now :) I rode some real rough trails yesterday though and now my back in combination of the two events is really really sore. Man it hurts. Wish I had a video of it. Want to see it and send it to one of those Real TV or something.
sorry for rambling

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
aaaaaah. Too much text.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
No kidding!!!! Glad you found your mints though! Take some drugs and you will be good as new!

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i know like I said I rambled a lot. If you want a summary I landed a jump skis first which through me off balance then I hit another big bump which through me off the side of the Viper. Dragged along side it holding onto the bars which in my opinion is the only thing that prevented the Viper from being a smashed up snake. And believe me I popped a few pills today. Man am I sore all over.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Ah, that's more like it

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
506 Posts
how bad was the terrain? for rocks and stuff. in that same situation (I'm assuming there was some hardpack snow) I prob would pulled the sled onto her side to get her stopped faster, wth that drop off there the way it was. if it was rocky and stuff tho, I dunno, one of those split second decisions taht you can go back and say "this is what I should have done" but givin the time yer deciding in, you would probably do the same thing again. know what I mean?

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the terrain was a few inches of snow and then mud. The drop off was covered in trees and rocks though. The sled would have been totalled had it hit that drop off. Really when I held on I didn't think about that drop off I just hadn't decided to let go yet. It just happened that that descision saved the sled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts