Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I have an '87 Tundra and I just replaced the chaincasing and adjusted the track.

My problem is that it feels like it really shakes when I try to open it up and I don't feel that this is normal (mind you, I am new to snow machines).

Could it be that my driven pully support is set incorrectly and my drive is not running true? Should I be checking for a loose engine mount bolt? Any help is greatly appreciated as I am learning as I go along.

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Is there a chance that a bearing in the chain case came out for what ever reason. With more info we can help better. How did it run before? why did you replace the chain case. Was the drive shaft removed?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Hotrod

The bearing in the chaincase shouldn't be able to come out once it is all bolted down as I can't see how there is lateral room for it to slide that far sideways ... should I take of the chaincase cover to check that out?

I am not sure how it ran before as the previous owner had it taken apart as the chaincasing was cracked.

I examined it and think that he didn't have his driven pulley support bolted to the frame, thus allowing the drive to get pulled sideways and putting enough stress on the chaincasing to crack it.

The drive shaft (you mean drive axle, right?) had to come off so that the old chaincasing could come off. NOTE: THE DRIVE AXLE BEARING WOULDN'T SEAT FULLY INTO THE SMALLER DIAMETER BORE OF THE CHAINCASING ... I TALKED TO A GUY LOCALLY AND HE SAID THAT THEY DON'T FULLY SEAT.

Thanks for your help. If there is any more info required, just ask and I will provide what is needed.

Thanks again

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PS .... Could it be the terrain? I am not running with shocks on the skis (after the spreaders were put on) plus there was a warm spell and the trails are more like ice right now. Could it be just a rough ride? Because I do not want to run it and break something (maybe the chaincasing again (?) ... I am hesitant to take it out and find some new snow to see if it rides smoother and without a shimmy.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I wonder if the jack shaft got bent slightly. Try supporting the rear of the sled securely and gently run the track. This will tell you if it is the terain or not and you should be able to see any wobble in the jack shaft or driven clutch. When you bolted the support back on did you get it very straight and check the center to center distance between clutches? I have also seen perfectly good looking belts cause a shimmy kind of feeling at low speeds. If you have another belt try it as well. good luck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys

I will give that a whirl this evening as well as check out engine mount bolts, etc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello all

It would be the engine bracket that is broke right in half. As soon as I can line up a replacement I will know if she is running fine enough to spend the weekend out there.

Thanks all for your helpful advice and comments. They are much appreciated!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
try a new belt, if you cold reved on that one it might have a flat spot in it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts