Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question. Out here in the west, all the mountain sleds are Big twins. 700, 800, and 900's. The only triple is the Yamaha 700. A few years ago Triples were the big deal, even a few quads. Now it is the twins. Why the change?

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
11,281 Posts
mainly because of wieght,that and every one wants a new sled and since they dont make triples any more "eccept yamaha" they have to go with twins..if you want to build a modded mtn sled 3 holes is the only way to go..IMO

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
It is a weight issue as RMK-KING said. Also the big twins make better low end power which is good for the deep snow. My tripple rarely sees the low end of the rpm range and it makes pretty good power too.

But my Tcat was 585 dry and all of the big twins are coming in less than 500 some quite a bit less. Its all about power to weight.
But that is why I bought my Tcat when I did. a 700 twin was making 125 horse and weighed in at 500lbs add a 250lb rider and the power to weight ratio is 6lbs per hp.
Tcat at 585 + 250lb rider the ratio is 4.855 lbs per foot.
Even the 900 MC which makes 150Hp has a ratio of 5lbs per hp with a 250lb rider. The numbers don't make as much sense if you are a lighter rider.

Although power is definately only a part of the equation in the mountains. I have finally figured out how to make it do the dance and it will probably be a long time before I buy something else.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
money, big tripples are expensive. when only one sled had big tripple, they use the big twin in several models selling more engines, making more dollar sense for the factory. but with todays technology they can make a tripple come in 15lbs of a twin but with more power, but it comes at a higher price wich most people dont want to pay.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, I wanted a new sled and got a twin, but I sure do like the triple smooooth sound and power. One of the guys I ride with is a pure Yamaha man and he put on some Union Bay engine mods. 944 cc triple. Rail extensions to 159" He uses aviation fuel. Man does that thing crank. Although it is an awsomesled, he spent more on modifications than I did for a stock Summit. Pretty cool, but way outa my limits.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
He went with a good big bore kit though. I will go with union bay when I do my Tcat. Hopefully not in the near future. I am sure I will get a couple thousand more miles out of the stock motor before I need to replace the top end.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Is there a website for union bay?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The website for Union Bay is
www.unionbayracing.com
They make great big bore kits. Check out thier race results

Sorry if I do my Tcat it is going to be with a Hooper not a Union Bay. I've looked at so many. Union Bay doens't do A/C

1 - 8 of 8 Posts