Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i pulled the spark plugs out of my 1989 polaris today right after i started it and when i took them out they were black and they were covered in alot of black liquid on them that looked like oil. what does this mean?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
How long did it run? How long has it been since its been run? Did you fog it over the summer?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
If it was fogged in the fall and it hasn't been run long enough to burn the oil out of the engine then that's what it's from and you will be fine. If you're concerned with it run the sled for a bit (Remember it's also warm out so jetting will be off) and then check them again.

polarisrider98 said:
i only ran it for like a minute or two. The guy i just bought it from had it sitting in his back yard for 2 years.
I would run it for a bit and then see what your plugs look like. What sled is this?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Its normal. Fresh gas dont forget. Let it run for a decent amount of time (2-4 minutes) to burn out all the fogging chemicals out of the cylinders, and get the cylinder walls re-coated with oil.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wakeboarderboy said:
If it was fogged in the fall and it hasn't been run long enough to burn the oil out of the engine then that's what it's from and you will be fine. If you're concerned with it run the sled for a bit (Remember it's also warm out so jetting will be off) and then check them again.

polarisrider98 said:
i only ran it for like a minute or two. The guy i just bought it from had it sitting in his back yard for 2 years.
I would run it for a bit and then see what your plugs look like. What sled is this?
its a 1989 polaris 400 i got it from my neighbor and he had piped it ported it, and put flat side carbs on it and then after 2 years of it sitting he sold it to me for 50.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
polarisrider98 said:
wakeboarderboy said:

polarisrider98 said:
its a 1989 polaris 400 i got it from my neighbor and he had piped it ported it, and put flat side carbs on it and then after 2 years of it sitting he sold it to me for 50.
Twin pipes?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
50 bucks?nice deal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts