Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father blew the timing chain in my brothers dodge last night on the way to a fire call. Does anyone know for sure if this engine is an interference motor?

Anyone ever blow a timing chain in a 360 before, and assuming its interference, what kind of damage was done? Valves and pistons smoked and broke, or just valves?

Ive found a few things online that are telling me it is in fact an interference engine. Just hoping to hear some firsthand wisdom from someone who has been through it.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, my sister had a saab years ago that lost the cahin and just smoked just the valves. Dad blew a chain in 454 bb chevy years ago and bent the valves. Ive seen some motors that have cracked a piston when the valve hit it and others that just tweaked a few valves.

Hoping the pistons arent damaged. Be nice to get away with just a timing set and a few valves.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yup, it's going to have valve damage at the very least. Out of the 50-60 dodge trucks I've seen this happen to, only a few have escaped any damage. Replace the chain and see if it starts.

·
Registered
257 Posts
well my buddy just said it's a non interference engine. but i'm not sure. He's pretty smart when it comes to vehicles. i'd say call the dealer or someone who would know for sure. i'm sure someone on here knows for sure also.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blacktar08 said:
well my buddy just said it's a non interference engine. but i'm not sure. He's pretty smart when it comes to vehicles. i'd say call the dealer or someone who would know for sure. i'm sure someone on here knows for sure also.
Thats what I figured. With all the gearheads on SF, theres a good chance someone will know for sure.

I know vehicles pretty well myself, just dont know about this particular feature on this particular engine.

EDIT: Just saw your post, Autotec. Thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
I think you should be able to look up the motor online and try to buy a piston for it. Get the part number for the piston and do a google search. If you can find a picture of the piston and you see the cutouts in the top of the piston then that tells you.

Curious to know what timing chain it was since my business produces them. Timing chains are not a common weak point.. especially if it is a bullet proof borgwarner :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pistons are usually fine, it's the valves that usually take the punishment. I've only seen a few pistons crack. But I have also seen a few of them squeek by without any damage. The timing chains are known weak points on these engines, the factory ones are butter.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Matt, it was def one of the chains that you yourself had a hand in producing.[:p][:D]

Actually, turns out it wasnt the timing chain. He was only guessing when he sent me a text about the truck and I started this thread before my dad even got a chance to look at it in the daylight.

Still trying to nail down the culprit. He says it was driving down the road fine and it backfired a few times and then died completely, and now nuthin. Has fuel pressure, and spark, rotor turns when you crank motor and lines up correctly when #1 cylinder is at TDC, and it has spark. Will not fire when you dump a little fuel down intake. Im thinking possibly a weak coil? I found some stories in the internet of people with similar problems with their late 90s dodges and even though it had spark it still would not fire, but a new coil did the trick. What do you guys think?

Apparently, my brother tels me that when we put hat engine in the truck 2 years ago we put a new timing set on it, but for some reason I have no recollection of this at all. Memory is the second thing to go right? Whats the first..........?

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
Well if it backfired before dying, It was sparking while the exhaust valves were open. That says ignition problem. Try an inline spark tester to see if it is getting spark ($5 dollar tool) and if it isn't.... coil.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
arcticcatmatt said:
Well if it backfired before dying, It was sparking while the exhaust valves were open. That says ignition problem. Try an inline spark tester to see if it is getting spark ($5 dollar tool) and if it isn't.... coil.
I agree, I think it is an ignition issue. He dosnt have a spark tester, just stuck a screwdriver in a plug boot and it allegedly arced to the exhaust manifold. However, Ive read on the web of a few different people with late model dodges that would spark to the manifold or whatever but it still wouldnt run, then they replaced the coil and it fired right up. OEM replacement coil for the truck is only $35, so its worth trying just to rule it out a least. And if that aint it, youre only out $35.

I will advise my father of our decision.[:D]

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was the coil. Truck is up and running as sgood as you could hope for a Dodge to run.

Does an inline spark tester provide the same resistance as a spark plug in the cylinder under compression? Does it indicate weak or strong spark in any way or does it just indicate a complete electrical circuit?

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
the dodge 360 motor is a NON INTERFERANCE motor. you did not break the valves. just get a new chain and gears and align the two marks accordingly and you should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
Luke said:
It was the coil. Truck is up and running as sgood as you could hope for a Dodge to run.

Does an inline spark tester provide the same resistance as a spark plug in the cylinder under compression? Does it indicate weak or strong spark in any way or does it just indicate a complete electrical circuit?

thanks guys
Good to hear we were right.

Inline spark tester shows you if you have power going thru the line. If it is bright blue its good, if its very weak it is a weak coil, if its non-existent bad coil lol. Very usefull tool. Hard to pull your sled over and look at the spark plug sitting on the block.. easy to look at the spark plug wire though [thumb]

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MicahMan said:
the dodge 360 motor is a NON INTERFERANCE motor. you did not break the valves. just get a new chain and gears and align the two marks accordingly and you should be fine.
Thats what I always thought but Im hearing two different things. Might just call a dealership to get a definite. Pops got it fixed anyway though, no need for a chain. Thank god. Im the only one one in the family with a garage and it aint really big enough to put a fullsize truck in. We'd be doing the chain outside in the cold. Did that for years, sick of it.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i thought that my timing chain went to. i had spark and fuel threw a new set of plugs in and still wouldnt run. drained the gas and had small amount of watery liquid in it and it was moisture and ethenol. got it to run and i will never put anything under 91octane or anything that has ethenol in my truck again!!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good to hear it was something simple. I was a dealer tech for 16 years before I became a engineer, the 360 is a interferance engine. I have seen more issues with the chains than I can count, that's where I got most of the engine cores I built my engine from. (Chrysler didn't want them back) Maybe the older 360's with the dished pistons didn't have a issue, but all of the magnums had the interferance problem. Nothing like removing the head and finding broken valve bits stuck to the pistons. Even under warranty, it payed pretty well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts