Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night i blew up my sled. i was only going about 10km/hr and then it started to backfire and then it stopped on me. when i got it home i took off the rave valve and checked the left side cylinder and the piston had a few dents and there wasn't much left of the piston ring. the right side cylinder was perfect. the crank and every thing still spins. so im thinking all i might need is new pistons, rings and get it honed. i don't think it will need to be bored because the piston isn't to bad. does anyone know how much it might cost to get it rebuilt at a dealer. thanks.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
You mean the stealership? You'll be looking at $400 probably once they calculate in labor. If you do it your slef you will save a ton of money on this one. To get those cylinders honed it's like $20 per cylinder at any machine shop. Then the pistons will run you 80-200 depending on what you choose to buy. Gasket set will run you $40-60. Of course I'm just talking about rebuilding the topend, once you let the stealership look at the bottom end it gets ugly!

One little piece of advice though, find out why it blew up and fix that issue before you run the sled again.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Thats some harsh luck. Getting it rebuilt by a dealer can be real expensive. Probably over $1000. Let the dealer hone your cylinder and do the rest yourself. Changing a piston is pretty basic.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im not sure what caused it but im thinking it might have been bad gas because i put on about 80km the day before and then i went to the gas station the next day and went for a 15 minute ride and then it started to bacjfire. i want the dealer to do it anyways to make sure every thing alse is running right. right now i don't care about the price i just want to go back out sledding.

·
Registered
764 Posts
if u can get it to regina ill fix it for u :p i fix sleds on the side for lots of people and a rebuild on that engine would run around 500 bucks depending on if u wanna go just replacement parts or go to like a weisco setup, that could be a little more.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Cost me about 50 for a full gasket set from my dealer included the crank seals. Then another 200 for a piston kit with rings, wrist pins, and clips etc. Then I just honed the clyinders out myself, sure is nice having a hone.

P.S. If you need your cylinders bored, check with Carquest, they normally do it for about 40.00 just bring in the jug and piston and come back a few hrs or days later.

So over all I spent 250 in parts for doing a top end rebuild and all new seals. Then add in some small engine crankcase sealant for for about 6.00 and some oil for lubing the engine a ton before even firing it up.

Now if you touch the crank bearings, then your gonna get into some more $$$$$$.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Try and do it yourself because after gaskets and rings and pistons its probably going to be at aroudn 500 dollars. The dealer will add a lot more to the cost if you don't do it yourself because of labor charges. Just my opionon.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
do it yourself and learn something to teach your kids.

paying someone 20 bucks to hone each cylinder is a joke.. just to remove the "glaze" just buy one of these and get er done
[attachment=50198]

If you want to do it yourself, we will all walk you through it with prompt feedback. You up for it?

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br]You mean the stealership? You'll be looking at $400 probably once they calculate in labor. If you do it your slef you will save a ton of money on this one. To get those cylinders honed it's like $20 per cylinder at any machine shop. Then the pistons will run you 80-200 depending on what you choose to buy. Gasket set will run you $40-60. Of course I'm just talking about rebuilding the topend, once you let the stealership look at the bottom end it gets ugly!

One little piece of advice though, find out why it blew up and fix that issue before you run the sled again.
LOL stealership... Never heard of that!! Good one!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
hey arcticcatmatt, those hones are freakin awesome, doesnt take to long either. i say do er yourself. its not as bad as you think.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Ive heard its a problem with the rings with that year mxz i had the exact same sled sold it with 2000 miles on it and the samething happened to the guy i sold it to a few hundred miles later? Try and do it yourelf youll save a ton of cash!!! Its pretty basic. As a matter of fact there is an artical on a rev 800 top end rebuild in Sled heads magazine this month. That might help you alittle bit?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think i would rather get the dealer to fix it because they know way more than me and i want it to run good no matter what the price is.and the dealer said it would be done in about 1 week. and then i will also get waranty for a few miles.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
thats a ski-doo for ya. havent heard of ny polaris blowing up yet :O this could cause a war lol

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ive seen alot more polaris's blowing up than ski-doo's were i live. every mechanic around town always has more polaris's in their shops than any other brand combined.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
If your looking for a good place to send your cylinder outbore rebore just outside of winnipeg does great work. if you dont fell confident doing it your self send it to the dealer. if you have a freind that is a mechanich get him a case of beer and get him to help you but also teach you how to so it so you can do it your self next time!

·
Registered
3 Posts
if ur sled is a 2000 mxz then u probably wont be able to bore them if the cylinders are Nickle plateed...if its ur top end then from a dealer it might be 1000-1500 Cd easy...m friend of my did his jugs on a 01 xc 600 and the cylinders her paid like 700..thats new jugs, and ur best bet is to go wit just ski-doo pistons, keep it good and simple...if u bring it to a dealer..with the jugs, both cylinders, pisten kit with gaskets, and labour at 60 bones an hour easy it would probably come to 1500

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Originally posted by jblaster
[br]if ur sled is a 2000 mxz then u probably wont be able to bore them if the cylinders are Nickle plateed...if its ur top end then from a dealer it might be 1000-1500 Cd easy...m friend of my did his jugs on a 01 xc 600 and the cylinders her paid like 700..thats new jugs, and ur best bet is to go wit just ski-doo pistons, keep it good and simple...if u bring it to a dealer..with the jugs, both cylinders, pisten kit with gaskets, and labour at 60 bones an hour easy it would probably come to 1500
Do you mean nicasile plated? If so you can get it bored out, you just have to get it re nicasiled after its bored.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Originally posted by SleD_CrEW
[br]Try and do it yourself because after gaskets and rings and pistons its probably going to be at aroudn 500 dollars. The dealer will add a lot more to the cost if you don't do it yourself because of labor charges. Just my opionon.
Dude you need to stop giving advice, you have no idea what you are talking about 90% of time.

A piston set should run you around $250-300 for stock and you can pick up a set of Wiseco's for around $260 off of ebay. Gaskets are dirt cheap, you should be able to get base gaskets and O-rings for around $20-30. Usually cylinder servicing is cheap as well $5-10 a hole. I just did both juggs and replaced every gasket in my top end for $299.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Originally posted by Ak4life
[br]
Originally posted by SleD_CrEW
[br]Try and do it yourself because after gaskets and rings and pistons its probably going to be at aroudn 500 dollars. The dealer will add a lot more to the cost if you don't do it yourself because of labor charges. Just my opionon.
Dude you need to stop giving advice, you have no idea what you are talking about 90% of time.

A piston set should run you around $250-300 for stock and you can pick up a set of Wiseco's for around $260 off of ebay. Gaskets are dirt cheap, you should be able to get base gaskets and O-rings for around $20-30. Usually cylinder servicing is cheap as well $5-10 a hole. I just did both juggs and replaced every gasket in my top end for $299.
if you get a full gasket kit try more like 60 bucks man, i have done 3 engines already this year and every gasket set was at least 60 bucks. and stock replacement SPI pistons are usually around 60 or 70 bucks a piston. Id still do it yourself though, its a matter of pulling the jugs and putting new pistons in, takes about if that maybe 2 hours if u have everything with u

1 - 19 of 19 Posts