Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running an '04 800 XCsp with a 1.75 Camoplast Challenger, geared at 23-39, a SLP single pipe, can, and big mouth kit, as well as custom clutching and a front torque arm. The clutches have been aligned, and the motor mounts gone over. I get full shifts out of both clutches and hit the 101 mph top end as per my tech manual. Now I almost need to change belts every time I fill up with oil, and when the go...man do they go. Shrapnel everywhere. Now I now that with this kind of power and traction I can't expect great belt life, but I would like to get more than 300 miles on a belt. I was only running the stock 080 belt and will be switching over to something Kevlar, probably an Ultimax XS.

Anyone else running into similar problems, or have any suggestions on improving belt life???

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Clutch Alignment and center to center distance is key you may want to check these before you go out for a new belt.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had a freind of mine regear his switchback (19/39) and he was then getting full shift out on the clutches and all of a sudden he can't keep the belts from exploding and I mean they explode! He checked the runout on his crank and he thought that was his problem. (.oo8) at the end of the crank but I am thinking it reminds me of the 03'zr900 syndrome of hitting full shift and the clutches trying to pull the belt apart. I may not have a clue but I think you should try going taller in your gearing. Maybe your not getting a full shiftout on the converter, the helix may not be machined to specs. Some of the TEAM springs could bind up so they came out with a reverse wound spring and delrin washers for the old springs so they won't bind. Going full shift may be causing the spring to bind? We pulled the engine out of my freinds sled and the mounts were fine, clutch was dry and sticking and the buttons need replacing. I put a new spring in the secondary and all appears fine there. Crank rebuild and everything is back together, should find out how things worked out sunday night when he gets back from the north country.... I am stuck working this weekend. Let me know if you find anything out.......

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
You might be want to check and see if you have this problem starting.

http://www.snowtechmagazine.com/articles/2004/allsprtcrank.php

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Are you running a SLP helix. You may have to run a .060 or 2 .030 shims under the snap ring. Something about the cut of those helixs will cause the belt to **** the bed. Something to do with the width of the belt.

EDIT:

I came across this eariler today so maybe read it over. Could be a reason?
http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193009

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The clutch alignment and center to center is fine, as is the secondary. I had the update done to it and it is moving smooth with no binding. I will take a look at the articles suggested above and see if I can work things out. When I do get things worked out I'll pass on my findings, thanks guys.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by ACEXLT
[br]You might be want to check and see if you have this problem starting.

http://www.snowtechmagazine.com/articles/2004/allsprtcrank.php
This was a thought so I ripped the motor out and sent it to FAST Enterprises in Wpg. They checked out the Case, crank and bearings. The case and bearings checked out fine but they replaced the bearings anyway since it was apart and realigned the crank (which was only out by 8 thou). I have added a front Tourque stop while putting the motor back in as well.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I like the poo belts..
Two things to check
Are your clutches surfaces hot? Even after a good run 20-30 miles, clutch faces should both be cool. Buddy had the inital Fusion issue, you'd loose your finger prints on the primary. Too much spring not enough wieght causes friction. He's never blown a belt, we noticed it on his first ride 100 miles.
Are things moving around? Ripped front mount? everything tight?

good luck

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
if you have a hammering clutch kit ,may have to try easing into it at first ,buddy of mine used to have a srx that would destroy a belt after 3-4 hole
shot launches

·
Registered
464 Posts
If you are running a Team driven you should check the moveable sheave bushing for wear. If there is to much slop the movement will bind under load and explode a belt or worse yet rip the engine mounts. I know Teams don't like to much torque applies to them. They work flawlessly on 440 to 600s but when you start getting up there in power they don't hold up to well.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am having same issues with my 05 xcsp 800 blowing belts at high speed I have a slp pipe and can high flow air box and flow rite intakes ,vforce reeds and slp clutch kit I just had clutchs aligned and still does it cant figure it out please let me know if you do I am looking into it more myself thanks

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Originally posted by chase73
[br]I am having same issues with my 05 xcsp 800 blowing belts at high speed I have a slp pipe and can high flow air box and flow rite intakes ,vforce reeds and slp clutch kit I just had clutchs aligned and still does it cant figure it out please let me know if you do I am looking into it more myself thanks
Refer to the link I posted further up...

·
Registered
253 Posts
i did thanks for the help though !and correct me if i am wrong but i think they are refering to a p-85 clutch not the team clutch but thanks for trying to say i didnt read the whole post before replying makes a person feel good [^]

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
check the shims in the secondary...the clutch may be shifting too far open allowing the belt to actually ride not on the sheeves but on the center part of the clutch. when it runs on the bottom of the belt instead of the sides, the belt will get chewed up quickly.

·
Registered
253 Posts
the problem i am having is the belt could be in good shape.Then when i open her up and hold her there thats when i get the belt blow outs .

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you guys, been busy working. I was running po 080s and am now going to try a Gates Extreme and the new po 115 even though the $$ are steep. I am also thinking of the Dayco Ultimax XS but I haven't heard of anyone who has run them.

As far as when they blow it is usually after a hard top end run, but even if it was just for short bursts of <2 miles. The last one was when I was out beating some ditches then returning home on the River I opened it up for just over a mile and she grenaded HARD.

Am thinking of gearing up a bit and hopefully taking some hole shot strain away as well as trying to rig up something to get some cold air injected directly into the clutch area.

Will keep you posted as to how things work out.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
What are you running for clutching?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts