Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well My snowmobile burnt both brights out about a week ago, now tonight when I started it the low got really bright suddenly then went too. I have a new full set of bluhm brite lites on order, but I am not going to put them in until I get this figured out. My guess is voltage regulator. Would that make it blow bulbs like this? How do I check it?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
if the voltage regulator is bad, it will blow the bulbs every time. get a voltage meter and check your voltage at the headlight. if it's more than 14 volts, replace the voltage regulator.

·
Registered
901 Posts
mine did that too bought a new voltage regulator and the porblem was gone.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Originally posted by rev500ss
[br]if the voltage regulator is bad, it will blow the bulbs every time. get a voltage meter and check your voltage at the headlight. if it's more than 14 volts, replace the voltage regulator.
Just make sure when you do this that you rev the machine up to about 4000 RPM, you're lighting coil will pump out a lot more volts at 4000 RPM than at 2000 RPM (idle).

Spence

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by porterpolish
[br]
Originally posted by rev500ss
[br]if the voltage regulator is bad, it will blow the bulbs every time. get a voltage meter and check your voltage at the headlight. if it's more than 14 volts, replace the voltage regulator.
Just make sure when you do this that you rev the machine up to about 4000 RPM, you're lighting coil will pump out a lot more volts at 4000 RPM than at 2000 RPM (idle).

Spence
yes you are correct. but if the regulator is toast chances are that it's past 14 volts even at it's idle speed. therefor reving the motor shouldn't be required.

·
Registered
86 Posts
sounds like the voltage regulator, good luck

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
K well that will be the first thing I will check. I wonder what one costs from the dealer? I looked on ebay and they have them for about $20, but I am not too keen on buying used electronic parts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the same problem on my '96 Indy 500. The new voltage regulator solved the problem. I got the regulator much cheaper through Parts Unlimited than Polaris was asking.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I am guessing thats what it is. I tested the voltage, it is the highest between idle and 2000 rpms. Between 11 and 14 volts AC, but it bounces all over the place. As I rev it up higher it continues to bounce all over the place but drops down into the 7 to 8 V range, with occasional higher spikes. This is my only guess as to whats wrong, everything else seemed fine, I checked the switch and all wiring.

I also tested my GFs sled, hers is constant around 12.23 V no matter what RPM, it doesnt hop all over the place like mine does, so thats gotta be the problem. I just dont want to burn up my new brite lites too, cause they werent cheap.

Bad part is Parts Unlimited doesnt make a regulator that cross references to the 3 wire OEM for my machine. So I am going to have to buy OEM at $54.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I just replaced the regulator. the new one set me back $54. It now reads right around 12v at idle through 2000 rpms, but when I rev higher drops down to the 8 to 9 V range, but doesnt jump around as much or peak at times. I hope that was the only issue, since all the wiring and connections look good. I dont want to burn up the Bluhm brite lites.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts