Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a 93 Wildcat 700 with carb setup. He just bought it from a guy who said the base gasket was blown and shooting crap everywhere. We tore the engine down and both the base gaskets looked fine. We are going to clean the surfaces and put in new gaskets anyways. Does anyone recommend using something like copper spray or silicone for reassembly?

·
Registered
777 Posts
just about garanteed,it wasn,t a base gskt,But the exhaust connections at the clyinder,and yipe connection

·
Registered
777 Posts
thats what everyone does,,new manifold gaskets,and and high temp silicone,sure in most cases it dosent last long,but dosen,t take to long to reapply a couple of times .make sure the surfaces a oil free

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have a friend who bought a '89 Wildcat and man, was that engine a mess with all the oil all over the place. It was coming from the y-pipe and the exhaust pipe. Wait a second, I just got thinking, wasnt the Wildcat came out as a twin pipes? Either way, there was an exhaust leaks all over the place on the sled that I was working on. Apparently, the last owner didnt do a very good job taking care of the sled. WL.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Exhaust leaks will definately do that. BUT BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was my situation last winter. After rebuilding my engine, I had what I and others determined to be 99% certain an exhaust gasket leak. Black oily mess up front and down below the pto side exhaust port.

Put 400 miles on with it this way with no problems, except for a little mess. First day out on my week long snowmobile trip, I blew the pto side cylinder. Come to find out it was a faulty base gasket, and that is what was leaking.

Its good you're replacing your friends anyways, its cheap insurance. In my situation you just couldn't tell for certain where the mess was coming from. Id also definately replace the exhaust gaskets and put some hi temp exhaust sealer on them as well. I've heard to never put silicone or sealer of any sort in combination with the base gasket though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It probably seems to be the base gasket but really its probably the exhaust gasket. If the base gasket was gone it would not run right because there would not be any vaccum for the fuel pump to work.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
It could be the base gasket. If the base gasket has only a very small leak (as in my situation) it would, and did, produce an oily mess. But you are correct if you had a major leak, the sled probably wouldn't run right.

You just want to be aware of any and all possible situation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts