Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 polaris xcr 600 sp. last night i went out sledin wi my family. while i was goin threw a trail i nailed it n it didnt have the response it did earlyer. i pulled out on to a fire road n cranked on it but it would only rev to 8000 rpm normaly it goes to 8600 or 8700 rpm. so i stoped n dad n i noticed it was missin. i looked at the tach. n it was revin 1000 at idle. normaly its revin 1500-1700. we pulled the plugs n the clutch side one was wet. we pulled the top of the carb off, cuz we had troble with it b4. but it was fine. dad put his thumb over the plug hole n i pulled. there was no compression. it wasnt running lean for sure. last week i had it tuned n it had 135-137 psi in each cylender. im wonderin what happined? if the crank went it would scuff all 3 but only one isnt workin. need ur imput!!!!!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
im thinking it might b a faulty ring. n if it scored the wall ill have to replace it or have all 3 bored out. i like the idea of boring, but$$$$ how much will one cylender cost?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Look down the spark plug hole with a small mini-mag with the piston at its lowest position. Look for scuffing on the cylinder walls. You couls also remove the exhaust and carb and look in there. Is the 600 a monoblock? If so, bore it out. If not, a cyl should cost $50 - $150 used.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i never thought of lookin that way, no its not a mono block thanks man

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just got my exhast off and :'( NOOOOOOOO somthing hard and large decided it wanted to go between the piston and the cyl. wall:'(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey my friend had some problems with his 96 xcr 600 too. The crankshaft bearings went out and then a second time he some bad rings and blew it up again. Seems like a lot of people are having problems with those sleds.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Check the piston skirt, it may have cracked off. Also, check your crank, they dont like foreign objects down there.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Alot of problems with the 96 xcr 600 sp's. They were known as a "parts bin special" as Polaris used parts from several different sled to put it together. More info here:
http://www.geocities.com/schmidt92/polaris_faq.html

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that site is unclear to me the say xcr 600 in one breath in the next they say xcr 600 sp. but my xcr s- is speacial. its been ported, new crank n rods, n new cdi unit.while i got it apart imma grind away at the case induction so it will flow better

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same thing you described happen on my 97 XCR SE. Pulled it apart, an found out that a wristpin clip had broken, got along side the piston and jug, ripped two rings out, and scored the hell out of the jug. Figure on a re-nickeled jug(they are nickasil plated and can't be punched over), a piston assembly, some gaskets, and a little time.

I got some pictures of what happened. email me if you want to see them.

Good luck

Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts