Snowmobile Fanatics banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Pinecarpenter, why are you argueing against guys that have proven setups with these sleds?- not speculation. I have two XLT's that I've owned for years and I learned early on the stock setup SUCKS! They come from the factory with conservative gearing and clutching and respond very well to more aggressive setups for clutching and gearing and there is no one "magical" matched set of springs you have to run. Right now I have a spring and helix combo I'm running in my secondary that not many guys would dream of running in an XLT but, for me it works great- ask Madcow!!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Dude, no need to get bummed- if you think the stock setup is best for you that's great. Others were asking what other setups will do- that's all! Ride on![thumb]

·
Registered
511 Posts
pinecarpenter said:
The only BS I see is the one having to do with your crying. How many sleds have you owned. How many manuals have you read? What are you doing right now? sitting in front of the computer??? Ive got thousands of miles ridden since you were in diapers. Im at a dealership right now..thats what I do. All applications means best all around set up.

The only way BS put up on the internet is when people with 288 posts in the last month type all day instead of ride and learn. junior

Junior? Seriously? So you figure that it adds to your credibility to sling some childish insults while you proclaim your vast knowledge?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ive been selling these sleds for a living for many years. Test driving/racing/mechanics. Love the majority of people on this site that use it for communicating, articulating ideas, stories, and useful information. Lets do that instead of whining. Keep up the great work to the rest of you.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
pinecarpenter said:
Ive been selling these sleds for a living for many years. Test driving/racing/mechanics. Love the majority of people on this site that use it for communicating, articulating ideas, stories, and useful information. Lets do that instead of whining. Keep up the great work to the rest of you.
If I understand you correctly ,the best ALL AROUND primary and secondary setup for my 93 XLT is the stock setup. Gold spring/stock weights--Red spring /34 degree helix--21/39 gearing is that correct?I'am running the wider belt, does that require anything different? I have to admit I've tried all kinds of combinations, I've notice only small amounts of performance gain.--Thanks--Mike

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
We ran stock spring and weights on our xlts but used a polaris T1 helix. Really got it going out of the hole.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Mike900 said:
pinecarpenter said:
If I understand you correctly ,the best ALL AROUND primary and secondary setup for my 93 XLT is the stock setup. Gold spring/stock weights--Red spring /34 degree helix--21/39 gearing is that correct?I'am running the wider belt, does that require anything different? I have to admit I've tried all kinds of combinations, I've notice only small amounts of performance gain.--Thanks--Mike
Mike, if your running the wide OD belt and you have 50 thou clearance-something is wrong. You are almost guaranteed to need heavier weights as recommended to balance other changes. It is superior to stock set up.

And remember Mike, the better belt and performance helix were not available in 96. Polaris has upgraded their clutching design on new sleds and stock set up in '96 is poor by today's standards.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thinksno said:
Mike900 said:
pinecarpenter said:
Mike, if your running the wide OD belt and you have 50 thou clearance-something is wrong. You are almost guaranteed to need heavier weights as recommended to balance other changes. It is superior to stock set up.

And remember Mike, the better belt and performance helix were not available in 96. Polaris has upgraded their clutching design on new sleds and stock set up in '96 is poor by today's standards.
My Drive clutch has a the wider rollers on it, the date stamped on the clutch is 1999. Even with this I still have a lot of clearence. I esitated having the spider pulled off to shim it. The last time I did that the clutch broke, it was however a older one.--Mike

·
Registered
323 Posts
[

Ask Darby- 93polarisxlt about his results as he changed weights, springs, helix and gears. I know he told me how much harder it pulls all the way to top and gets great fuel mileage now.

[/quote]

Yep My sled rocks!..I still have the stock weights tho 49.5... but I can tell anyone that this sled really moves out and pulls hard! If I were to put the old 7" suspension in she would really scream up top! Has the edge in it now and still impresses people that drive it.. On good hard packed snow or a road she will do 90+ on the speedo and its pulling hard
Just drove it this past friday 162 miles no problems and got 12.22 mpg.. Odometer just went to 6262

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm running the wider belt, that's suppose to give a little better performance. Changing the primary spring is not hard. You need a puller to get the clutch off, once off remove the six bolts on the cover, take out one spring and install the other. Be very careful not to overtighten the bolts, they can break.
You don't need a puller to change the spring. You just need to hold the clutch from spinning and then remove the bolt. See powermodz do it here

21 - 31 of 31 Posts