Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i need some help, I have a 95 indy sport(440 fan) and i cant figure out why but it seems to have a little bog on takeoff, like the clutch engages and all of a sudden the engine seems to bog down like its pulling a load for a second or two(which shouldn't be concidering i only weigh 160) then it takes off like normal , what could it be? also would anyone know how i would stiffen my suspension up?, it seems a little soft

/snofan/../images/users/95INDYSPORT-NY/top2.gif

POLARIS--THE ONLY WAY OUT

The Snowbelt starts in Camden!
T.C. Riders' scenic and superbly groomed trails are your
GATEWAY to the TUG HILL! www.tcriders.com
MOVED TO THE SHOP BY XLTMAN

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
For the bog Polaris has a natural bog, but it isn't really noticeable, the problem couls be to many shims in the clutch, the belt can be two narrow, or the belt can be riding two low on the clutch, or the clutch might be engaging in second gear. As for the suspension, look where the spring rests, it rests on a rubber triangle, the way it works is the more area between the nut, and the spring the stiffer the suspension. That is if it has the rubber triangle. I don't know about that year and model, but if it has the trianle put the spring on different positions until it gets how you want it, the spring setting has to be the same on both sides.

If it ain't broke,
change stuff till it is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 95 Indy Super Sport and a 95 Indy 500. Last year the 500 bogged down between 5000 and 6000 rpms. However, the drive belt is very worn and it has been on the sled at least 3 years, maybe more (I bought it used). I spoke to somone who knows a lot about sleds, and he suggested I change the belt. I think he is right, its probably time for it to be changed, and it is about the cheapest thing you can fix anyways.

About the suspension. Both my sleds had the XC-100 rear suspension, it isn't very good. There is no coupling of the front to back. Last year I got a late model X-tra 10 with the PPS shock and put it in the 500, it made an enormous difference. You have to remove the rear mount and move the mounting hole for the rear shaft forward 2 5/8, and make new mounting plates. It isn't that hard a project, and it is a significant upgrade.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Try a wider belt, and make sure the belt stickes up about 1/8 of an inch above the primary clutch.

If it ain't broke,
change stuff till it is.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
yes, check the belt position first, you should have at least 1/8 inch of belt above the secondary clutch, if not, your belt is either worn, or you need to check the clutches. also, place a straight edge along the top of the belt, rest the straight edge on the belt inside the primary clutch , and at the secondary, what you are checking for here isbelt tension, im not sure on thet model, but i think you should be somewhere around 1 1/4 inch between the top of the belt and the bottom of the straight edge. any more than that, replace the belt, also, measure the thickness of the belt, if you have less than 1 1/4 i would put a new one on.

suspension, zrt is right, look for square blocks, they are mounted in the middle of the rear swing arm, and the springs rest on them, if your want firm tension, place the block side that is longest against the spring, or medium tension, use the opposite side of firm, (note: never place the long end of these blocks facing towards the rear of the sled, as the can break) also, check that your rear scissor arm is mounted in the secod hole (nearest hole towards the track tension bolts) you may want to check into new springs if your suspension is still too soft, or new track shocks. if you have rebuildable shocks, have them services and/or re-valved to a stiffer rate.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I'd also check your choke and throttle cables to see if they need to be adjusted. Also your needle n seats may need to be changed if they're leaking. All these things will cause an inital bog on take off because they will allow too much fuel to be dumped into your cylinders. This causes a temporary flooding affect untill you get going.

But I'd also check the clutchin and belt like everyone else said. Just trying to think of any and all possible causes. I had this flooding problem with mine. Changed the needle n seats and the problem was solved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts