Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have an arctic cat zr 580 and just recently i went to go start it up she starts fine but as soon as the sled gets any resistance its starts to bog down i will have it at full throttle and would only be at 4rpm and the track would hardly spin . Then when i stop it idles really low then turns off.

I was just wondering what could cause this and how could fix it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
If its EFI, is your battery fully charged?
If its carbed, have they been properly cleaned recently?

Fresh fuel? Good spark plugs? clutches been maintained?
chaincase full of water and froze?

give us enough info to help you

·
Registered
144 Posts
x2 on the efi thing. have a ext 580 efi and it will be not charged up and will run very bad. bog out. go slow. everything.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its not efi brand new spark plugs are in it.Has fresh fuel in it to.
Bought the sled last year so i dont know when the carb has been cleaned last.

·
Registered
144 Posts
it is possible that it is fuel issues but then at full throttle it should stall out. maybe not though in some cases. does it rev high on take off and smoke alot too?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry folks, I hit the wrong button. New here so bear with me.[baldy][:I][;)][:D]

I purchased a 95 Artic Cat zr580efi last winter and I have problems getting it started when we get to the mountain to ride. It's a little sweetheart once it's running. It acts like it's flooded and it takes upwards of 20 pulls to get it started. It has new plugs, new battery, new drive belt and I just had the clutch overhauled by the local Artic Cat dealer/service. They also checked out fuel pressure, compression and such and all were good. I top it off with fuel prior to leaving town. Anyone out there have any ideas what may be wrong with this little gem?

·
Registered
144 Posts
what do you mean when you get to mountain? could the fuel mapping for the efi be off if the altitude is a greater difference?

·
Registered
3 Posts
98zr600le said:
what do you mean when you get to mountain? could the fuel mapping for the efi be off if the altitude is a greater difference?
The altitude is substantially greater, ie 3400ft to about 7400ft. That said, it's not an uncommon thing here in Montana to go from 3000 on the plains to upwards of 7-8000ft. As I said the service tech checked everything out and it checked out ok. He's native Montana so I'm sure he's aware of the altitude difference so that shouldn't be an issue. If I fill the tank with fuel before I leave town there is always a lot of gas spilled out on top of the tank and around and under the handle bars. Is it possible that this excess gas is going down through the breather and loading up the carbs? I know, I've got to get a new seal for the fuel tank cap/gage. Like I said, it takes a lot of pulls to get it started. If you have someone to hold the throttle down (full throttle) it will begin to sputter and finally start running. Similar to an old carbed car engine that flooded. Once started it runs great.[baldy][Sleds]

·
Registered
144 Posts
have you done that and pulled back the boots on the carbs after the trip up there when the gas is spilled?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts