Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 ZR580 EFI, bought it for a spare last fall (one of those can't pass deals) It runs great except for from an idle it wants to bog down when the throttle is 1st opened. Once it gets a few R's its pretty snappy....I found that both of the injector flanges had cracks in them which I figured was sucking air. Changed them, which seem to help a little...anybody ever run into this and know what may be causing it.....

·
Registered
340 Posts
hey,

I had a 1997 arctic cat zr 580efi and I had the same problem...

I would first check the compression on each cyclinder...if you got low compression it could mean time for a new motor.

Mine had low compression and the motor was blown

·
Registered
764 Posts
mine is kinda like that, you cant just hop in it and slam the throttle down or it will just bog, the odd time u gotta work the throttle a bit, i figured it was just a normal thing with that sled..... maybe not?

·
Registered
795 Posts
I think the efis of those years were like that because my 96 did the same thing. I found keeping slight pressure on the throttle at stops helped quite abit instead of letting idle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey yah i have a carborated 600 and i find it bogs when its really friggen cold out and when there is some moisture in the carbs, not to sure about the efi though

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, its not like its not drive-able...it runs great other then that, and its not a real serious issue...Just gets a little annoying at times to have to feather it a little from idle...Threw it up here thinking that maybe someone else has had this problem and found a fix for it, but from the way it sounds, its just a characteristic of these earlier models...Thanks gang for your help, and I'll keep a watch on this thread for a while for any new input...

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I know my 1995 efi 580 runs much better with a newer battery...

Also, have you checked the clutches? If the belt is worn and is not adjusted, that will also cause a bog. The belt should be about 1/8" out of the secondary when you are stopped; if it is down into the secondary, it would be similar to taking off in second gear; you bog until you get some speed, then it runs ok...

Also, the primary can cause bog; look at the rollers and flyweights for abnormal wear. Check for a binding main bushing as well. If the sled has a 6-tower comet-style clutch and has not been rebuilt in a while, it may be time for some parts...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep, Clutches and belts and all that are good...this is a engine fuel/air issue, kinda like when a accellerator pump is bad on a car. Theres a hesitation, before it will go.....

·
Registered
844 Posts
As mentioned above about the battery, not enough output at low rpm's to fire injectors properly.
Another thing to check, start the sled, twist the throttle up and down, just the thumb part, does it want to stall? if so, you need to replace the little plastic washers on the pin that holds the
throttle on. item #8 in the diagram.
[attachment=52491]

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
Try putting STP fuel injector cleaner in it. I put some in every 4 tanks. Its just for keeping the injectors at top notch condition!

·
Registered
10 Posts
try taking off bar pad and unpluging the handle bar kill switch. your key will still work i know ALL of my zr's had problems with the kill switches and they would bog and then i would unplug the switch and the bog would go away

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with Erik585 and cat-sass. I keep extra throttle bushings for my '95 580 efi also. Go to ArcticChat.com site, go to snowmobile section, then to zr,zrt,zl,t-cat section and at the top of page there is a post on the bogging issue you discussed. Make sure battery is in good shape.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to everyone for their input...I'm headed to the UP for 10 ten days, so if they get the snow they're predicting, I'll try it out (the kill switch) and let ya all know how it went when I get back....I also recall it was acting up on me the last ride out last year, cutting out running down the trail, I'd let off the throttle, and then pin it back down and away it would go..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a FYI, on this 95 efi model, when I unplugged the kill switch plug on the handle bar, it won't run...you can actually hear a relay drop out as soon as it is unplugged...not to worry, I ave many ways to get around that....I'll let ya know the outcome after the 1st of the year when I get back......as long as the UP gets that heavy snow they say is coming tonight...

·
Registered
764 Posts
i as well tried to unplug the killswitch and when i do the sled wont run..... how did u guys disconnect yours??

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Brother-in-law was having the same problem with his 1997 ZR 580 (no battery). It was intermittent. Had to tow for a bit after the last ride. Stator finally died.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok back and the verdict is...its getting worse..Thing actually ran pretty good the 1st couple of days, then it starting cutting out going down the trail...just like someone hit the kill switch..? Play with the throttle and away it would go...i changed the bushings, and they didn't look to bad. battery seems to be ok, but I'm thinking that I'll put a new one in anyway. I did put a good charge on it one day before riding, and it didn't make a difference...could have a bad cell in it, which could cause it not to charge completely...If anyone else has any ideals, i'm all ears...That stator thing worries me, trying not to go there just yet

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
for the kill switch you have to get a plug from the dealer that connects the two wires together. one thing to check is there sensors on the throttle bodies that will kill the sled if your throttle cables are out of adjustment.they do this as a saftey device so if your throttle stick open it will kill the sled. you can bypass that aswell. the plug should have 4 prongs on it and if you jump the wires diagnally it will run correctly with out the plugs attached.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Throttle washers: Did you get the new style with the little bumps on the bottom? Atrctic cat p/n 0609-144. The little bumps help hold the pin against the switch inside the throttle block. Make sure you install the washers with the bumps toward the end of your handlebar. If the switch is not engaged you will get "ignitious interuptis", which is what it sounds like you are suffering from. Good luck.
One other thing. Had a customer with similar symptoms on same sled. The wires from the throttle position sensor were routed and tied off so that it caused a wear spot through the plastic sheathing and caused a short. Look at them REALLY close.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Guys, Found a broken spring in the primary...This would explain the kill switch effect running down the trail, just need a weekend to get away and try it out.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts