Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping that the pile of sledding gurus around here can help point me (and my local dealer) in the right direction on this one. Here is my problem with my 1999 SummitX 670.

Start the sled, let it run for 10 minutes. Get on the throttle and rev to about 4-5K RPM and it has a serious bog around. The kind that "seems" like it is flooding itself. The engine will just fall right off. I can pump the throttle and it will hold itself in the 4-5K range, but it just sounds like it has a constant bog at that point. The engine is not reving up with any type of crisp response. The bog is really bad, the engine falls right off, but if I keep working the throttle, it will fire nicely once in a while and rev back up, but then it just keeps bogging again.

Let go of the throttle and it goes back to idle just fine. It operates like this for 15-20 mins of running time and then the problem seems to go away.

I have cleaned and sync'd carbs and replaced the plugs. The sled has also undergone some "electrical testing" at the dealer (they also checked out the clutches for me). The dealer is starting to tell me its the CDI box or maybe the stator, but mostly the CDI. I guess I'm second guessing them because it works fine after warming up really well. I have a few ideas of my own and would like to hear what folks have to say.

1. Replace the spark plug boots and coat the inside with dielectric grease. Apparently there was some type of recall on the plug boots when the sled was new. I'm hoping that the bog is caused by some type of interference with the spark at the boot.
2. Take apart all connectors and coat with dielectric grease.
3. Get some type of shielding for the plug wires.
4. Maybe look at the timing and see if it is out. I don't think it is this though, once the sled is warm, the problem goes away.
5. Take the CDI box off and warm it up in the house and put it back on the sled to see if it makes a difference. If it does, I don't know what the final solution will be.
6. The bad one, replace the CDI box (440 CDN). The bad part about this is that I own the box once I buy it whether it was the problem or not.

I read a similar post earlier, but I felt that this was a noticeably different problem, please don't think I didn't make an effort to read first.

I would really appreciate some advice on this one. The sled also has Ski-Doos first shot at anti-theft with the electronic tether (DSS). I don't know jack about the DPM yet so I can't offer anything on that.

Thanks in advance,

Darcy [:(][:(][:(]

·
Registered
227 Posts
The only problem like this that I have seen personally was on my friends '97 Yamaha sx700. At first it was an intermittent bog for a day. Then later on it would only let him engage the clutch and run at 4500 RPM's. We stripped everything off his brothers identical sled, cdi box, coil, etc, etc. the only thing we didn't change was the stator. Took it in to the Yamaha dealer, $384 and a new stator problem solved. I'm sure with the wealth of knowledge on this forum you will get the right answer. Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply j2. I've gone through and checked every electrical connector on the sled and coated them all with dielectric grease to be safe. I didn't find any corrosion, so that was good news. After doing this I started 'er up and it ran like a dream, no bog anywhere, BUT I had it in the garage with the heat on. I ran it for 10-15 mins and no problem at all. I let it sit for a couple of hours and came out to try it cold and back to square one, there was my bog again and after 15 mins of running time it was gone and the sled was running fine. I don't know what causes it, all I am left thinking now is CDI, stator or some type of DPM problem when its cold.

I was hoping someone else in the forum had run into the same problem with a summitX.

Darcy

·
Registered
837 Posts
i think it may be a problem with the dmp being frozen, try this take the dpm inside till it warms up then go back to the sped hook it all up on the cold motor and see how it does, mabe it will do soemthing. and about the dss systme if you had a problem it wouldn't start and if it was the wrong key it would start but the key light would blind and it would rev past 3000. give the dpm thing a try there are some parts in there that could have problems

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
My guess is the stator or CDI unit, just because of the time thing you mentioned. As for the DESS, remember that Bombardier has been using it on watercraft since about '95. I don't know of anything in the unit that would be overly susceptable to cold, but just as mattgross said it's easy and it can't hurt to try. I do run my '98 Sea-Doo SPX several times during the winter (because I don't "fog") and I store it outside. Any help??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mattgross, I'll try that first as it seems to make sense to me. What exactly would I remove to try this? I know the where the DPM "barrel" that is connected to the airbox is, but thats it.

Rotax, I don't know much about electrical stuff so this might seem like a silly question, but wouldn't the CDI just stop working instead of warming up and then working fine? As far as the stator goes, I only know it operates like an alternator in a car.

I'm going to try the things both of you mentioned. Thanks for the help, I'll let you knwo how it goes.

Darcy

·
Registered
837 Posts
the barrel is the only part you need to take in, just remember where all the hoses go, for any electrical problems i don't that is the problem because you said the thing runs good once it warms up right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
We had problems with that key thing on a 98 X. The dealer reprogrammed the key and the problem went away. It would rev just enough to move but that was it. You could take and remove and replace and restart, sometimes it would come out of it sometimes you had to try again. Once it was fixed we have never had a problem since.

thanks Scott

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Matt, yeah it runs fine once it warms up.

Scott, the dealer checked the tether and they said it checked out fine. I'm thinking that if it was related to that, the sled wouldn't move warm or cold. Mine will rev up, bt I have to keep on the throttle to keep it up there. I can work the throttle (pumping) just to keep it in the upper RPM, but its bogging the whole time.

One more thing, there is a nipple on the bottom of the CDI box (looks like a vacuum nipple) that doesn't have anything connected to it. Does anyone know what that does?

Darcy

·
Registered
837 Posts
thats a sencer for the outside air pressure, nothing connects to it. so did you try warming the dom manifold up and then trying to start it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got is off and sitting in the house. I have to run out to help a buddy for an hour or so. I'll post the results after warming the manifold and starting the sled. I disconnected all of the hoses from the manifold and that is the only thing I brought into the house. There is a black hose at the right end of the manifold (when you're sitting on the sled), what does that connect to? Its the only one that I can't tell what it is hokked up to.

I'll be back in an hour, hopefully I cna post an answer around 2PM (1246 here now)

Darcy

·
Registered
837 Posts
i think that is just a vent take a look at this pic you will see the piping, and it may be bigger then what it supposed to be, well i don't dont care because smaller you can't read it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the diagram Matt, its helped me understand a little more. I thought I had the problem licked after heating the DPM manifold, but 5 minutes into riding, bogging again. This time so bad that I had to pump the throttle several times just to get the sled to move. Each time I pumped the throttle it would just bog bad, then suddenly it would just fire and leap forward & then more bogging. This is the first time that the problem persisted after being warmed (10 minute warmup). I had made three or four passes of a quarter mile or so with no problems at all and then it was back.

I guess I'll wait and see if the CDI box does the trick tomorrow. If it does I'll let everyone know.

Thanks to everyone for all of your help, it has definitely educated me.

Darcy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, the motor had warmed up and started the bogging again. I guess I didn't think about the actual cooling of the DPM manifold after I got it outside. I just assumed the engine would keep it warm.

Anyway, yep thats what happened. Warm manifold, ran fine, 15 mins running outside, bogging.

·
Registered
837 Posts
i think this is a problem wit hyou fuel systme and the dpm. it may be a problem with the air pump or something in that manifold. i don't think you need to worry about the stator or cdi, i think you want to check the dpm, i will get somne pages out of my manual for you to look at

1 - 17 of 17 Posts