Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a boon docker nitrous kit for my 2002 rmk 700. So I was wondering if I need (or should) do any engine modifications before using it? I already have twin CPI pipes, v-force reeds, slp high flow air box, boost bottle. I'm planning on doing trail porting and a big bore kit in the future. Thanks for your help!

Oh and how will this effect my clutching?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
engine + nitrous = BOOM

·
Registered
918 Posts
^^^ thats false. you can safely run nitrous as long as you aren't trying to shoot in 100 HP worth. If your using a 15-20 shot you will be ok as long as its set up properly.

Ive thought about putting it on my next sled but unless i could find a bottle for cheap i probly wont. that damn bottle is expensive.

As far as what you should do it sounds like you have plenty of add ons and it wont be a problem as long as you take the time to clutch and jet it properly.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
What does a nitrous bottle run you? And how much does a kit cost? Because if you need 3-4.5k bottles I would think you could use compressed air paintball tanks(not co2) and they are as big as 92/4.5k.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
You're both right.

The problem with nitrous, is that most people don't realize that it requires a proper setup, and you can't just bolt-n-go... At least until after they've blown an engine or two.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
You're both right.

The problem with nitrous, is that most people don't realize that it requires a proper setup, and you can't just bolt-n-go... At least until after they've blown an engine or two.
And that's what I don't want to do. I bought the kit used for $150, so I couldn't resist!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yeah, but when I ask performance shops or dealerships in my area if they can install it and tune it for me, they wont. They tell me if you do not have the skill to tune it yourself, you shouldnt be running nitrous.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
MXZfasty02 said:
Yeah, but when I ask performance shops or dealerships in my area if they can install it and tune it for me, they wont. They tell me if you do not have the skill to tune it yourself, you shouldnt be running nitrous.
Exactly...

They don't want to install it for you, because they don't want you blowing up your motor and blaming them for it, and dragging down their reputation.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you need someone else to tune for you, you really shouldn't be messing around with stuff. As far as your clutching Rlichtenberg, just leave it as you have it. The engine will overrev when on the bottle, but it works good like that. If you clutch to have the right rpm when on the bottle, it will be a turd when not on the bottle, because it will be way too aggressive. I've had a boondocker on two sleds now and never blew up a motor with them. Just follow Boondockers instructions for tuning and you should be good to go. If you don't have instructions with your used kit, they're available to be printed out off their webpage.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
there is a guy on youtube that put nitrous on his ski doo rev and went 142 mph!!! just bolted it on and bam. ha you can find some stupid crap on youtube. all these years i have been messing with speed and overlooked nitrous could have gotten me there in 1/2 hour worth of work.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
madcow said:
there is a guy on youtube that put nitrous on his ski doo rev and went 142 mph!!! just bolted it on and bam. ha you can find some stupid crap on youtube. all these years i have been messing with speed and overlooked nitrous could have gotten me there in 1/2 hour worth of work.
Lol, yeah... Just drop on a big bottle from a car, and you should be able to break the world record.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1fastxc said:
If you need someone else to tune for you, you really shouldn't be messing around with stuff. As far as your clutching Rlichtenberg, just leave it as you have it. The engine will overrev when on the bottle, but it works good like that. If you clutch to have the right rpm when on the bottle, it will be a turd when not on the bottle, because it will be way too aggressive. I've had a boondocker on two sleds now and never blew up a motor with them. Just follow Boondockers instructions for tuning and you should be good to go. If you don't have instructions with your used kit, they're available to be printed out off their webpage.
I'm pretty confident in my tuning ability. I guess my real question is, should I do the porting first, or is it ok stock? Or if anyone recommend doing anything before installing it from past experiences? And if it over revs couldn't I blow the motor?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
rlichtenberg said:
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
You're both right.

And that's what I don't want to do. I bought the kit used for $150, so I couldn't resist!
Ya i probably wouldnt be able to say no to that either. they retail for right around 1000 bucks so it wont happen unless i find a screaming deal like you.

EDIT: oops still logged in as the brother LOL

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I have and run nitrous set up on my 700 switchback. Is it safe sure, do you have to know how to tune.YES. I run a wet kit from boss. And have used 30 and 40 jets with no issues. Tips mix race gas and prem., start low and work up, it is useless for trail riding, amd you can not clucth a sled for it as the sled would suffer when not on the bottle.

Best place for nitrous is in a drag race setup or for out west as it can be used to gain back rpm when in the mountains due to loss of power at elevation.

Ps be prepared to rebuild about every 1000-1500 miles as even properly set up its hard on parts and its prevemtative measures that keep you riding,

·
Registered
646 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
MXZfasty02 said:
Exactly...

They don't want to install it for you, because they don't want you blowing up your motor and blaming them for it, and dragging down their reputation.
Yes.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
i had a storm with the wet kit, it was very easy to dial in.

on a sled with premium/regular switch, i would wire the nos button into the regular fuel wire. so when you hit the switch the timing drops a couple degrees.

i personally would also use a small tank of premixed race gas rather than taking normal gas out of the tank and no oil in it. so when you hit the button the extra fuel has oil in it and is good fuel.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Boondockers kit uses a relay that cuts the current to the premium wire so that it goes to regular mode. It also doesn't draw fuel from the fuel tank, it pressurizes the float bowls and pushes more fuel through the main jets. I've ran a 40hp shot on my ported/piped trail sled with just regular premium gas with no issues. I don't know if i'd go with anything bigger without some race gas atleast mixed.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok thanks, I will use a mix of race and premium fuel.

I don't plan on running anything bigger then a 30 shot until I'm comfortable with the kit, if I even go bigger at all.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
1fastxc said:
Boondockers kit uses a relay that cuts the current to the premium wire so that it goes to regular mode. It also doesn't draw fuel from the fuel tank, it pressurizes the float bowls and pushes more fuel through the main jets. I've ran a 40hp shot on my ported/piped trail sled with just regular premium gas with no issues. I don't know if i'd go with anything bigger without some race gas atleast mixed.
ah, sounds like a nice kit!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I like it for a trail sled. Not many components, no batteries and it works. Real simple kit. Obviously not the highest hp kit available. A wet kit will get you more hp, but then you have a battery, two solenoids, fuel pump, more hardware all together. Rlichtenberg, you won't need race gas at all with just a 30hp shot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts