Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what does a boost bottle actually do for the engine?

also what is the benefit for using one?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Its supposed to be to mix the air and fuel properly before entering the engine. A lot of sleds come stock with them. Always have to check to make sure its not cracked or falling out though. An air leak from there could cause an engine failure.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
The advantage to it would be improved fuel economy, and slightly improved throttle response.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
They are supposed to help get rid of the low end bog that some sleds experience for example 98 xc 600. There are a lot of mixed reviews on them. Some say they work and others say they don't.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
sledcrusher said:
Its supposed to be to mix the air and fuel properly before entering the engine.
What the heck are you talking about????[confused][Disappointed]

They are for balancing the pulses between the cylinders. As a result of this, you may see better throttle response, and possibly a little better gas mileage. As stated above, not all engines act the same when you put one on. Because one carb can actually pull air from the other, you will probably have to do a jet change too.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Hangman said:
sledcrusher said:

They are for balancing the pulses between the cylinders. As a result of this, you may see better throttle response, and possibly a little better gas mileage. As stated above, not all engines act the same when you put one on. Because one carb can actually pull air from the other, you will probably have to do a jet change too.
Local Polaris dealership told me that so I figured it was knowledgeable information, although it does make sense what you said. I was having a hard time figuring out how fuel would possibly flow through that and mix with air.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
helps clean the midrange and lower end up, it balances the carbs i noticed a difference on my edge, helped out alot, (at least i thought, everyone to their own) just my .02

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
A boost bottle smooths out the airflow in the carbs.

Without an air bottle, the airflow starts and stops with every stroke, so the air going past the jets keeps getting interrupted, and the fuel flow keeps getting interrupted.

With one, when the one cylinder stops pulling air, the other is, so the flow continues by going through the boost bottle..

By doing that, the fuel mixture is a lot more even, and it gives more power in the low and mid range.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hangman said:
sledcrusher said:

O

That is correct.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
interesting.... thanks fellas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts