Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2003 polaris rmk 800 ves. Its fuel injected. I was wondering if I could get a boost bottle fot it. are boost bottles only for carburated motors or both? I tried to to research on this and I didnt find out much info.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
how is your RMK 800 fuel injected??

·
Registered
918 Posts
Ya fuel injection wasn't an option on any 03's. either you were misinformed when you bought it or someone set it up off a newer sled somehow.

But back on subject. It should work. it you have the little tubes coming up from your carb boots just unbolt them and drill them out. Then stick the bottle down the tubes and use a clamp or zip tie to seal and secure then

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
WOW, a fuel injected 03 800 twin???? not likely, never the less a boost bottle is a waste of time and money on that sled, most likely it still has the 40mm rack style mikuni carbs that have no need for the addition of a boost bottle, just forget about it and move on to more important things like jetting and clutch tuning.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh my bad it is carburated. I havent had it very long. I feel stupid now haha. basically right now i'm running v force, slp twin pipes. is there anything else I can do to make my snowmobile have more power. I was thinking about going with high compression pistons and cheater heads. is this good or bad idea?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
clutching! will be helluva lot cheaper than motor mods and make more noticeable "power" than your two ideas. I say "power" because it doesn't add any power, it just gets the power to the ground more effectively so it feels more powerful

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
clutching! will be helluva lot cheaper than motor mods and make more noticeable "power" than your two ideas. I say "power" because it doesn't add any power, it just gets the power to the ground more effectively so it feels more powerful
you have any recomendations on what brand of clutches are good?

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Stock Polaris clutch tuning parts (springs, helix, weights).

Since you have SLP pipes, look at the SLP site and set up with their specs.
On your first couple of rides, bring a couple sizes of main jets in each direction and be ready to fine tune for actual riding conditions.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Dekk70 said:
Ya fuel injection wasn't an option on any 03's.
Correct, but fuel injection on them will be an aftermarket option soon... As soon as I get my hands on the right components, the new 2003 SKS 700 that I just bought will have EFI installed. That thing is already a bear, it's gonna be even more fun with EFI. My hardware is debugged and working now, pretty much anybody will be able to play with EFI when we get the software and wireless control finished..

I'm guessing that dickharshman saw the TPS and assumed that that was for EFI.

To the original question... When it comes to EFI, a boost bottle will not help anything. The boost bottle serves the single purpose of keeping airflow moving by the jets to continously pull fuel. With EFI the fuel is pressurized and controlled by a valve, there is no need to suck it with airflow.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i had a boost bottle on mine and it slowed it down? i don't know if it was just my sled but im jusy letting you kno :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Dekk70 said:
Correct, but fuel injection on them will be an aftermarket option soon... As soon as I get my hands on the right components, the new 2003 SKS 700 that I just bought will have EFI installed. That thing is already a bear, it's gonna be even more fun with EFI. My hardware is debugged and working now, pretty much anybody will be able to play with EFI when we get the software and wireless control finished..

To the original question... When it comes to EFI, a boost bottle will not help anything. [highlight=yellow]The boost bottle serves the single purpose of keeping airflow moving by the jets to continously pull fuel[/highlight=yellow]. With EFI the fuel is pressurized and controlled by a valve, there is no need to suck it with airflow.
I thought the single purpose of the boost bottle was to maintain even/equal pressure of the atomized & unburned fuel between both cylinders?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
trailjunkie said:
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Dekk70 said:

To the original question... When it comes to EFI, a boost bottle will not help anything. [highlight=yellow]The boost bottle serves the single purpose of keeping airflow moving by the jets to continously pull fuel[/highlight=yellow]. With EFI the fuel is pressurized and controlled by a valve, there is no need to suck it with airflow.
I thought the single purpose of the boost bottle was to maintain even/equal pressure of the atomized & unburned fuel between both cylinders?
When the piston is on the upstroke, it's sucking in fuel/air mixture, but the other cylinder (for a twin motor) isn't. The boost bottle is a crossover tube so when one cylinder is sucking in the F/A mix, the F/A comes from both carbs (therefore fuel from both jets). Without a boost bottle, the flow of the F/A mixture is starting and stopping, albeit for very short periods of time. With a bottle, the mixture is continuosly being combusted in a constant flow. This is why boost bottles only help lower-end throttle response; because the time between each combustion for one cylinder is extremely short when running at high RPM, so the flow of the F/A mixture is essentially constant anyways, even without a boost bottle.

·
Registered
632 Posts
^^^^^^^Ahhhh....now that makes more sense. I put one on the 99 XC 600 and it did clean up the lower end throttle response but that was all. My 02 MXZ has a factory bottle, and has very crisp lower end. Thanks for the explanation!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Should the spots where the boost bottle goes into on the carbs be plugged or left open? Reason I ask (sorry but i'm new to sleds haha) is my RMK700 has spark plugs in the holes, my cuzins 2000RMK 700 has nothing, and my other sled, 97 RMK 700 has the boost bottle.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
RalleyTuned said:
Should the spots where the boost bottle goes into on the carbs be plugged or left open? Reason I ask (sorry but i'm new to sleds haha) is my RMK700 has spark plugs in the holes, my cuzins 2000RMK 700 has nothing, and my other sled, 97 RMK 700 has the boost bottle.
If there's no boost bottle, the holes better not be left open!! You'll run EXTREMELY lean and toast your motor. Without the boost bottle, you should have them sealed off somehow. But some people use the rubber molding there as spark plug holders.

·
Registered
567 Posts
on my 02 rmk 800 i have the slp motor package high comp cheater heads pipe ported fat boy bearing bored carbs and boost bottle its an awesome set up

1 - 16 of 16 Posts