Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, for all those trail condition "where the hell is the groomer" type people I'll keep this sorta updated when I think of it and feel like it.

I'll start with tomorrow morning we're gonna start breaking trail. The groomer is sitting in Rosetown so we'll be picking it up there then heading up the border towards the Walhalla customs then past Reinland towards Winkler.

Providing no breakdowns and other crap I hope to get it done from Rosetown to Walhalla then to Winkler and Morden and hopefully end up in Plum Coulee when all is said and done.

That's what I hope to accomplish, since nothing ever goes as planned, don't count on it.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rosetown -> border -> Walhalla customs -> Winkler -> Co-Op along hwy 14 -> Enns Agri Sales -> Boston Pizza = done.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They looked alright yesterday when I made them, no pics, forgot cam at home.

Probably not so hot now though, I think it was +7 or +8 celcius in the winkler/morden area today.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hopefully they didn't take such a beating from the weather. This is nuts +8 in January. Hopefully people stay off the trails for awhie, and let them setup. Hopefully it gets a little colder for the weekend.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did to Morden today, stopped at the Co-Op for lunch, when I came back out the left hydrostatic drive on the BR puked so she's in the hospital.

Further grooming pending on repair time.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
P-man, what is a BR? Is that the groomer tractor? What do you guys groom with up there? Width/length?

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We've got one skid that we pull with two different machines. The BR is a Bombardier BR 400+ I think it's a 1991 model, ours has around 8100 hours on it, so some systems are not in all that great of shape anymore.

[attachment=17809]

Then usually after the trail is established we pull the skid with a 1998 Case IH 9380 QuadTrac.

[attachment=25000]

The skid I do believe is 12' wide, I'm not sure how long it is, but it's pretty long. You can see it in that pic up there of the 9380.

My update for today, since the BR is busted again I was breaking trail with the Case, which is usually not such a good idea since it weighs around 50,000 lbs. But it worked pretty good, I did from the Co-Op between Winkler and Morden along hwy 14 to where we meet up with Roland then I headed to Plum Coulee then I went to Rosenfeld, across to Altona then through Halbstadt and ended up in Letellier.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did from Letellier to Morris and back today for the poker derby tomorrow. -30C. Please appreciate it. It took me from around 10 AM until 3 PM just to get the tractor started.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did from Altona to Gretna then up the border to the warm-up shack, across to plum coulee, to rosenfeld and back to altona today.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did from Altona up the Greenvalley trail to the shack -> plum coulee trail, over to plum coulee, up to winkler, roland hookup, Boston pizza, Morden, South past Winkler to the border, Walhalla customs, Gretna, Altona today.

I'd describe the conditions as good to very good from Plum Coulee east. Winkler South is awful. I felt like I was deep tilling.

I snapped a couple of pictures where it was starting to get bad. I didn't get to the complete no-snow spots until after dark so I couldn't get any pictures.

[attachment=56641]

[attachment=56642]

It literally looked like I was doing fall-field work with the tractor once it got dark. The little bit of snow that is there is disgustingly blown full of dirt and there's not much snow, period.

Bleh.

Around here it's still really good, it goes from that dirty crap to nice and white within an area of maybe two miles.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went from Altona to Rosenfeld today, then tried to break the Rosenfeld -> Morris trail but failed. Bailed after getting stuck a few times in the first 4 miles. Drove down the road to the Letellier -> St. Jean -> Morris trail and did that, then went to Altona from Letellier.

·
Registered
448 Posts
very nice, i now have a new desk top back ground with the tractor and the sun setting in the sky!
BTW keep up the good work!

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad you like that pic!

Today I covered Altona to the west shack to winkler to plum coulee back to altona then to Letellier and put the tractor in our shop to thaw out. An abundance of ice/snow on it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
To bad we have bad weather for groomin now cuz its so very cold and blowing like crazy and the BR's not ready yet so were ditch banging it now. The BR should be ready beginning to middle of next week sometime so then we can get some trails going again

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will no longer be updating this as I quit being groomer operator last Tuesday.

Real-life work came up (hauling grain, roasting soybeans, meetings and other whatnot) and spending 20ish hours a week making trails that blow over in 15 minutes the day after you finish seems so pointless.

Plus this way when I have spare time I might actually get to use my snowmobile.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts