Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a deal on a low mile adult riden xlt extra12 complete suspension. front and rear. very good deal, so im putting it on the Storm, wanting comfort and the deal was hard to turn down. fox threaded body shocks all the way around im told, my question is has any one done this conversion and what would be my measurements for mounting the rear skid with out binding and having proper geometry. Any help will be greatly appreciated. i pick up the suspension on the 17th, so im starting tear down tomorrow, and then replaceing bearing ect. so all that fun will be done. like i said, ive got no problem with the work,i just dont have a clue on how to mount the rear skid properly. Thanks ya'll[beer][beer][beer][beer][beerbelly] the storm is a 93 and the skid is a 121 like the storm, if i wanna run a 1" track picked do i need to change to 8"drivers?? thanks all

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Don't waste your time. Should have went with a xtra 10 or a M-10 if you wanted comfort.

http://www.jbshocks.com/edgeswap/swap.html

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yep +1.. I would have bought a edge myself even better than a xtra -10.. If your set on the 12 take the measuremnts from that donor sled and u should be good to go.. Measure from the flat of the driveshaft back to first hole.. then measure from ctc of the two holes measure twice drill once!.also measure from top of tunnel down on front and back too. also u will need to put reinforcement plates possibly too where new holes are, DON'T just drill thru the thin sheet metal and mount it up!

·
Registered
6 Posts
WHAT ABOUT THE FRONT SUSPENSION I AM THINKING OF DOING THE SAME TO A 91 RXL I BOUGHT THE SUSPENSION BEING TOLD IT WAS AN XTRA 10 BUT IT IS AN XTRA 12 WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO WITH THE FRONT

·
Registered
42 Posts
It will work, a lot of work involved. I don't think the trailing arms are going to work, they're longer on the extra 12. Here's the template to do the swap. It would be a lot easier if you were to swap your drivetrain into an extra 12 tunnel. Remember to move the mounting plates to where your going to mount the skid in the tunnel. 20103310034231_19208.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
RXlRIDER24 said:
WHAT ABOUT THE FRONT SUSPENSION I AM THINKING OF DOING THE SAME TO A 91 RXL I BOUGHT THE SUSPENSION BEING TOLD IT WAS AN XTRA 10 BUT IT IS AN XTRA 12 WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO WITH THE FRONT
Get the shocks from a 97 XLT. They're a little shorter (16" opposed to the 18" from the 95-96 XLTs). Then readjust the suspension so your skis sit flat. They went back to the standard trailing arms length in 97. ( the 95-96 XLTs had longer arms )

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
like i said ya'll, i know the m and extra10s are better, but for the price i get everything i need. i keep my stuff running on a very tight budget, and any mods are even tighter. im not being shitty,and ive already talked to a member bout this, but u buy what u can afford and sometimes thats all u can afford

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
xcr440 said:
Don't waste your time. Should have went with a xtra 10 or a M-10 if you wanted comfort.

http://www.jbshocks.com/edgeswap/swap.html
bought what i could afford, so i will make the best of it, all i wanted was a little help. UOPK all ready advised me on the issues between the 10 and 12, but when a complete 12 front and back became avalible from a friend tht was very reasonable and low miles, i bought it. good summer project and i appreaciate the link to jb.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I did this swap on my 93 xlt. The front was the worst and the most time consuming. If you can get the doner sled or at least get to look at it it will go allot easier for you. Make sure you get the rear trailing arm mounts and the upper shock mounts as they are diffrent than whats on the storm. Get the backing plates off the doner for the rear suspention mounts, Also like others have said measure twice or 10 times and drill once. I was vey pleased with the swap on mine. But if i did it again i would do the 12 in the front and use a edge skid.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
XTRA-12 is definitely not the ideal swap. But, those who've said the XTRA-10 is a better comfort skid are just plain wrong. I suppose the 10 is better at certain things than the 12, but a comfortable ride on the trails is definitely not one of them.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
^^^^Really, I feel as the xtra 10 rides just as well as the 12 when pushed hard.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood what you and others said, xcr440, but "comfort" and "pushed hard" are two terms I generally don't use in the same conversation.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
True. I should have rephrased my statement but I was late for a meeting.

I feel the 12 is a great suspension when casual riding on flat smooth trails but when you push it(hard, fast riding on choppy, mogul trails) it begins to show it's short comings. The harder you push a M10 or xtra 10 they begin to show how well they ride in rough harsh conditions.

·
Registered
511 Posts
xcr440 said:
I feel the 12 is a great suspension when casual riding on flat smooth trails but when you push it(hard, fast riding on choppy, mogul trails) it begins to show it's short comings. The harder you push a M10 or xtra 10 they begin to show how well they ride in rough harsh conditions.
Just out of curiosity, how many miles have you put on an xtra 12 suspension? How did you have it set up? Did you try making any changes to see if you could improve the performance?

In my experience (one full season of switching between an xtra 10 and an xtra 12), the xtra 12 is far superior to the xtra 10 for riding trails, ESPECIALLY when "pushed hard". When you say "when you push it(hard, fast riding on choppy, mogul trails) it begins to show it's short comings", what short comings are you referring to? Could you be more specific as to what these "short comings" are, or specifically what problems you had when pushing one hard? My experience is completely different. In my experience the xtra 12 provides a significantly smoother ride on rough trails than an xtra 10.

I have noticed in the past that quite a few people on this forum are quick to give opinions on the xtra 12 suspension even though they have very little or no experience with one. There is so much BS misinformation spewed all over this forum, it's no wonder that the kids on the forum are so confused and misinformed. Then these same kids post the same BS in other threads, and that's how so much misinformation gets propagated on the internet.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i ride ditches, some smooth as the front yard and some bumpy and there is always a driveway or two ot twelve that are perfect for little air, im 42 in May, so im not near as hard on sh*t as i once was, so that why the 12 complete and the price. Im 6'2' and come in around a slight 270-280lbs. im not a feather weight and i want comfy for my old bones. i know it will be nice once done, but im not scared to ask 100 times till i understand as so not to F**K IT UP. Old age has some bennifits, like younger girls that like 3 holes in a Polaris and the old bastard with tatts and grey beard :)

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
old_school said:
xcr440 said:
old_school said:
Just out of curiosity, how many miles have you put on an xtra 12 suspension? How did you have it set up? Did you try making any changes to see if you could improve the performance?

I ran a 95 rxl for 2000 miles. Yes I did the adjustments that polaris stated to do. It felt tipsy at slow speeds and statred to "buck" at speeds over 50 mph on close rumble strip typre moguls.

In my experience (one full season of switching between an xtra 10 and an xtra 12), the xtra 12 is far superior to the xtra 10 for riding trails, ESPECIALLY when "pushed hard". When you say "when you push it(hard, fast riding on choppy, mogul trails) it begins to show it's short comings", what short comings are you referring to? Could you be more specific as to what these "short comings" are, or specifically what problems you had when pushing one hard? My experience is completely different. In my experience the xtra 12 provides a significantly smoother ride on rough trails than an xtra 10.

The faster I went the softer the suspension felt. It felt as though i was on a roller coaster.
I feel as though it was braged to be to do all suspension when it is not. I like siffer valved suspension which the xtra 12 is not.

I have noticed in the past that quite a few people on this forum are quick to give opinions on the xtra 12 suspension even though they have very little or no experience with one. There is so much BS misinformation spewed all over this forum, it's no wonder that the kids on the forum are so confused and misinformed. Then these same kids post the same BS in other threads, and that's how so much misinformation gets propagated on the internet.

You won't find be posting any BS. Have you been to any other forums?? Yes there are some people who are less informed than others but they are learning.[thumb]

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
old_school said:
xcr440 said:

A little while back I started a topic on switching suspensions:http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/109238/display.aspx

I have taken the advice from a few and am now happy with the way the 12 performs. Though I need to rebuild the rear shocks yet. Listen to old_school, he knows what he's talking about. I thought the 12's weren't very good at one time, but when set up properly, they perform well. I went from a very harsh ride to one that's very comfortable. I mainly ride on just trails, but have no problems hitting some jumps and such. A buddy and I had kind of a race through a very long section of trail that's very twisty. He's got an '04 rev and he couldn't get away from me. I could actually take the corners faster than him. I was always on the brakes to keep from hitting him. When set up correctly, the 12's are good performers.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
^^^what changes did you make??

1 - 20 of 38 Posts