Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new truck today. It's a 1993 Chevy 1500, 4x4, reg. cab, shortbed stepside. It has the bullet proof 4.3 with only 43,000 miles. The body is absolutely flawless. The bad is the frame is gone. I found another to replace it. But I didnt think it was to bad of a buy for 1,000 bucks. I am going to do a complete frame up restoration. I will post some pics of the truck when I get it home (hopefully beginning of this week). Feel free to comment and let me know what you think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
I have a '90 Chevy 1500 5.7L and I really like it. Great power for a 1/2 ton. The only thing I'm not a big fan off is the IFS. Last year I had to replace 3 CV axles and it looks like I'm going to have to do another one. The rubber boots keep getting holes in them and the ball bearing eventually come out of place. They aren't hard to replace and I they have warranties on them so the last one I got was free with a core. Other than that I haven't had any major issues other than a head gasket and a couple other common things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i have a 93 shortbed 2wd with the 4.3 also. It has 240,000 on it. I figured time for an upgrade. I will post some pics of the build. The low bed should be bringing it at the beginning of the week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
I just broke 242,000 the other day and thought it was just getting broken in![:D] The 350 in mine has been rebuild before and is actually pretty low miles.


201032920530606_22897.jpg

There it is at its best. I took the topper off and I have a tool box in it now. This photo was at probably 230K.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TheFastMan said:
I just broke 242,000 the other day and thought it was just getting broken in![:D] The 350 in mine has been rebuild before and is actually pretty low miles.


201032920530606_22897.jpg

There it is at its best. I took the topper off and I have a tool box in it now. This photo was at probably 230K.
Mine just went 240,000 on the original drive train, 5 speed 4.3, runs like a top. Can't kill the darn thing. Gotta love these chevro's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
92 chevy 2wd 242000+ 5.7 an i love it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
got a 93 chevy 1500 5.7L with 134,000 on it and it still goes pretty good. like thefastman said i hate the ifs to much money to put a lift kit in it lol gotta love those old chevys parts are a dime a dozen!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
My dad has a 1996 Chevy 1500 w/t (work truck) with the silverado grille. It has a 4.3 with currently 212,099.7 miles. Its been a pretty good truck for him most of the time, but it failed inspection this year because the check engine light won't shut off. It idles real rough. The drivers side inside door handle broke off last weekend. It doesn't start in the rain. In the last two years we've done a full tune up, new starter, fuel pump, mass air flow sensor, but other than that its an awesome truck. Heres a picture of it yesterday after the alternator went.


201041914169548_27939.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nhrider said:
My dad has a 1996 Chevy 1500 w/t (work truck) with the silverado grille. It has a 4.3 with currently 212,099.7 miles. Its been a pretty good truck for him most of the time, but it failed inspection this year because the check engine light won't shut off. It idles real rough. The drivers side inside door handle broke off last weekend. It doesn't start in the rain. In the last two years we've done a full tune up, new starter, fuel pump, mass air flow sensor, but other than that its an awesome truck. Heres a picture of it yesterday after the alternator went.


201041914169548_27939.jpg

Thats a pretty clean truck. No rust by the looks. All original body panels? [thumb]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
INDY400MOD said:
nhrider said:
My dad has a 1996 Chevy 1500 w/t (work truck) with the silverado grille. It has a 4.3 with currently 212,099.7 miles. Its been a pretty good truck for him most of the time, but it failed inspection this year because the check engine light won't shut off. It idles real rough. The drivers side inside door handle broke off last weekend. It doesn't start in the rain. In the last two years we've done a full tune up, new starter, fuel pump, mass air flow sensor, but other than that its an awesome truck. Heres a picture of it yesterday after the alternator went.


201041914169548_27939.jpg

Thats a pretty clean truck. No rust by the looks. All original body panels? [thumb]
All original. The driver side door has a rust spot just forming. We just put the new alternator in and so far so good.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the 4.3 notorious for cracking heads? Or was that another GM motor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TheFastMan said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the 4.3 notorious for cracking heads? Or was that another GM motor?
Must have been another gm motor. I have had several 4.3's and they are bullet proof. I beat the snot out of mine and still runs like a champ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,708 Posts
1989 Chevy RCSB stepside 4x4 338,000 original on the 350 and just doing the resto on it this summer.
20099911349329_14053.jpg

20099911345173_14053.jpg
1992 GMC RCSB Fleetside with 250,477 original on the 305 in it. I bought this one for the body to put on the 1989. It was a theft recovery. Might end up fixing both in the end.
20099911320141_14053.jpg
 

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top