Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short the VIN # is scratched off the machine. I can make out a few digits here and there, but just can't quite see all of them clear enough. The serial number on the motor is still intact. Is there anyway to trace the serial number on the motor to the VIN on the sled it was assembled with. I know many of the digit are just a code for the make, year, body and engine. Does anyone know where I can find a "VIN Chart" that could help me out with this. The sled is a 2003 Polaris Trail Touring 550F.

The state police need the VIN to see if it was reported stolen. I would at least like to get it back to its original owner if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
is there a license number on the machine? maybe check out the regitaration number on the hood? I dont know how it works in usa but here in ontario we have license number on the hood. Hope this helps and hope you can get it back to its owner.

Most certainly hope you didnt have to pay too much for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,194 Posts
if a sled was stolen the first thing i would do would 1.... not steal it. 2..... probably remove the stickers asap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
Bowak said:
is there a license number on the machine? maybe check out the regitaration number on the hood? I dont know how it works in usa but here in ontario we have license number on the hood. Hope this helps and hope you can get it back to its owner.

Most certainly hope you didnt have to pay too much for it.
ya, you should be able to trace the serial number through the registration, IF the state will release that information, seems like you cant even get the time of day out of them anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Similar situation, I purchased a 1997 ultra (basket case)no paper work with the sled. vin tag is on right side of tunnel where your boot can rub against it as you ride. vin is worn off. I am told that a vin should be stamped in the tunnel but I can't find the # anywhere. Is there another location on the sled where the vin is stamped? If not is there any way to determine what the vin is so I can register the sled? Also there are no registration numbers on sled though it was registered in NY state in 2003
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,898 Posts
My vin is stamped on the right side of my tunnel above where my foot usually rests.
 
Joined
·
1,792 Posts
cert018 said:
Similar situation, I purchased a 1997 ultra (basket case)no paper work with the sled. vin tag is on right side of tunnel where your boot can rub against it as you ride. vin is worn off. I am told that a vin should be stamped in the tunnel but I can't find the # anywhere. Is there another location on the sled where the vin is stamped? If not is there any way to determine what the vin is so I can register the sled? Also there are no registration numbers on sled though it was registered in NY state in 2003

If you buy anything stolen, you're out your money when the cops seize it. Good way to avoid it (IMO), is ask the seller if he'd be willing to pose for a picture next to it. If he says no, be suspicious.

When I bought mine, I got the state's registration paper and made sure the vin on it matched the tag and everything looked kosher right then and there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,299 Posts
Go to your dealership with the engine VIN, they may be able to call Polaris HQ and have them trace it to the original sled. But then again the motor may have been replaced at some point?

Did you at least write a check or see the guy selling the sleds ID?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,382 Posts
If you are unable to trace it back to the original owner, then I do believe you might get a new VIN# created and etched into the tunnel then the sled is yours(but, I could be wrong). KUDOS to you for trying to do the right thing even if she doesn't get back into the right hands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
MakingTheWinterGoByFaster said:
cert018 said:
Similar situation, I purchased a 1997 ultra (basket case)no paper work with the sled. vin tag is on right side of tunnel where your boot can rub against it as you ride. vin is worn off. I am told that a vin should be stamped in the tunnel but I can't find the # anywhere. Is there another location on the sled where the vin is stamped? If not is there any way to determine what the vin is so I can register the sled? Also there are no registration numbers on sled though it was registered in NY state in 2003

If you buy anything stolen, you're out your money when the cops seize it. Good way to avoid it (IMO), is ask the seller if he'd be willing to pose for a picture next to it. If he says no, be suspicious.

When I bought mine, I got the state's registration paper and made sure the vin on it matched the tag and everything looked kosher right then and there.
I don't believe the sled was stolen. Have a bill of sale, the sellers name ,phone #, address, lives near by. Said he took sled as payment in lieu of cash from a guy he did some snow plowing for last winter. He also never got any paper work. I am confident I will be able to register the sled through DMV but a vin would probably expedite the transaction. Thanks to all for your input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
Is the vin number on the sticker worn off? If so, peel that sticker off and they have the vin number engraved into the tunnel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
polaris_xc_racing said:
Is the vin number on the sticker worn off? If so, peel that sticker off and they have the vin number engraved into the tunnel.





It is worn off and I don't know what it is to have it stamped in the tunnel
[/quote]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,422 Posts
Don't know if this will help any but its a good read anyways.
http://www.snowmobilestyle.com/archives/snowmobile-vin-number.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,987 Posts
I've seen that on some chassis, they put a second VIN# sticker on the chassis under the hood. Look for a bar code sticker under the motor or exhaust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, thanks for all the replies... definitely some helpful stuff here.

After spending a few hours today staring at what appears to just be a bunch of scratches on the tunnel I think I have come up with a complete VIN. Right now I am trying to figure out if it is valid, but I am running into some issues. The VIN on this machine, as well as on my 2003 SKS, starts with an SN1 rather than a 4XA or 1XA as it should for Polaris. When trying to validate the VIN it basically says that the check digit (9th number) is invalid, even for my SKS where the number is clearly printed and readable on the side of the machine. My roommates '99 RMK starting with 4XA checks out fine.

Has anyone else had any experience with the "SN1" VIN numbers?
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top