Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1995 xlt [thats right P-man ,I now own a Polaris]and was wondering if there is anything that I should be taking a long look at before the snow flies?
It has only 3000 miles on it , and not a scratch.
Also how hard is it to put extra 12 into it?

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Sweet, that sled should get ya around this winter. I will reply with some tips when I have some more time.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
[:D]

Now u will know what it's like to ride in the lap of luxury.

Congrats tho, sounds like u got a good deal.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
There are lots of threads regarding keeping the exhaust stock cause of possible crank problems. If I recall right there are some years that are more prone to possible troubles than others. I am not dissing them. It should be a great sled.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Check this link out, lots of good info on XLT's and XCR's.

http://www.geocities.com/schmidt92/polaris_faq.html

I've got a 97 XLT SP and have had some trouble with it, but all in all really like the sled. I should be all set come the first snowfall though.

Lots of info on XLT's on this site, try doing a search here as well.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Congrats on the sled.

If you ride aggressive i would leave the xtra10 in if thats what's in it already. My XLTsp has the xtra12 and it's nice on the trails but it just doesnt work as well in the corners.(IMO)

·
Registered
553 Posts
I agree with darkstar, I have rode my buddies xlt extra 12 and both of us agree that it seems tipy in the corners. Just feels unstable for some reason. To each there own.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input, I find out today if I can get extra 10 with FOX for it.
"Lap of Luxury" ha ha ha thats pretty good. I don't think its going to ride as good as the ZR900, but I've always liked the XLT so I'll be happy. Not to mention I'll be happy trading in the ZR on a new fishing boat today. I'm getting a new Princecraft 16,2 with a Merc 50 efi four stroke. Going to go fishing till the ice freezes, pickies hit good in the fall where i live, I can limit out in no time. OOPS sorry got off topic, I'll shut up now.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I agree - We call the 12" XLT's GRASSHOPPERS. They are more tippy in the corners. I traded my 95 in for a XC in 97 and there was a big difference. The X-tra 10" has a lower sense of gravity so it will handle better on the trail. Also the 10" is enough for me at 240lbs.
Enjoy the new sled![:D]

/snofan/../images/users/gmann/snowmob-a.gif

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
ahh, another happy XLT owner, i seem to see a hostile XLT takeover looming,,,,,,lol, anyways, congrats (i hope) on your purchase, my xlt has a few minor problems, put a used xtra 10 in her and last year, busted front track shock swing arm. took it out ans discovered front and rear track shock are crap.......the wowes of a snowmobilier..

·
Registered
864 Posts
Guy in our crew has a 97 sp with the 12. Sled is dead nuts realiable.My buddy Troy had a 96 with the xtra 12. The 12 is a bit tippy and requires a bit of body english it your running in the tight stuff. But your back will love ya. Both of these had the foxes in them.
The xlt's have one of the neatest sounds to them as well. From what's I've seen a good around machine. Only problem was the 97 had the needle and seat replaced cause it would flood overnight.
I will not have the explosive feeling of the ZR, but the smooth mellow power really creaps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts