Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with reeds?

I am thinking the Boysen cause there $50 less but does anyone have any experience with either one.

Any info would be helpful.
Gonna purchase some really soon.[:D]

·
Registered
874 Posts
I've heard good and bad about all of them. I think VF2's had some reliability issues which apparently were fixed on the VF3's. According to dyno reports, VF3's were good for 4-5 more ponies on the 900's. I haven't seen any dyno reports on the Boysen reeds. I just looked at my VF3's last week, and after about 600 miles on them I found the outside edge of the lower left pedal, and the outside edge of the upper right pedal have lifted slightly....can see a sliver of light. All other pedals are seating perfectly except these opposing corners. It was the exact same thing on both reeds.

·
Registered
777 Posts
i have carbon tech in sled,i thought about the price difference at first,but with a lot of searching the forums,the c.t were prefered with better results,no troubles with mine 3000 miles on them.
useless info , boyseen just bought carbon tech and
and will still keep the 2 brand names.
makes you wonder,if you can,t beat them,buy them

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Xc Special,
Talked with a tech at Boysen who told me about the purchase, He thought that the carbon techs would be better for lake race high rev situations, but I am looking for bottom end and mid for powder riding and he seemed to think it was a toss up as to which would be better.
I figure either will be an improvement over my old stock reeds. Thanks for the info.
Flange,
Not looking to spend 350 on V-Force just going to replace the stock reeds / keep the stock cages.

·
Registered
777 Posts
the c.t. reeds have 3 tensions,. i use the mediums,for fast trail and friendly drags,the high tensions are for lake racing if thats what you do.
a tottally agree on the v-force,far to $$$$$
and the terrible duribility has been a issue since the 2,s came out,i understand the 3,s arn,t much better

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would really recomend you stay away from Boyseen reeds. I had a set in my Cat zl 500, got 800 miles on them and they came apart leaving me stranded in the middle of an orchard. I also work in a snowmobile shop and we have had several sleds come in with Boyseen reeds that were broken. I havent yet worked on a sled that had broken V force or carbon tech reeds. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Does anyone know how much the carbon tech reeds cost? I am thinking of putting new reeds in my 97 ultra. Is installation easy??

·
Registered
89 Posts
How long to stock reeds last? When would you want to think about replacing them as a maint measure rather than just looking for performance gains?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Latest Snowtech Magazine has an article on reeds. They discuss visual inspections and when to consider replacement. They say that a sliver of light between the pedal and seats is ok if its less than .020", so after looking at my feeler gauge last night, I think my outer pedals are ok. From what I remember, Snowtech mentions that OEM reeds can last 3000-10,000 miles, while perf. reeds go 2000-3000 miles.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
would really recomend you stay away from Boyseen reeds. I had a set in my Cat zl 500, got 800 miles on them and they came apart leaving me stranded in the middle of an orchard. I also work in a snowmobile shop and we have had several sleds come in with Boyseen reeds that were broken. I havent yet worked on a sled that had broken V force or carbon tech reeds. Hope this helps.
Everyone else I have spoken with has said the Boysens would have a longer life. That the Carbon Techs would chip up sooner. Can you give me anymore info on the types of sleds they were in. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
711 Posts
Here are some of the sleds with broken boyseen reeds I have worked on

Cat- 00 zl 500, 98 efi 600, 96 zrt 600
pol- xc 600, edge 800

I have never had any problems with V forc reeds and recomend them over all other reeds, I have not herd or any reliability problems and have not seen more than two sleds with broken V force reeds. I do know that if you are planning on running pipes, or have a ported motor, with aftermarket reeds this tends to make them come apart sooner. Another thing with v force or carbontec reeds is if the sled backfires more than likley it will break the reeds. I have seen the effect of a backfire on v force reeds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my brother put a set of delta-force reeds on his srx600 triple and it woke the shit out of it!!!!it cost him more but it feels like a hole different sled. but cost is one important thing!!!!!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I thought aftermarket reeds only improve performance on large bore machines, 700cc and up. On 600 and smaller they may give crisper midrange response, but no HP gains. Is this the consensus?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Originally posted by SkiDoo55X
[br]Another thing with v force or carbontec reeds is if the sled backfires more than likley it will break the reeds. I have seen the effect of a backfire on v force reeds.
In many cases, backfiring is a result of worn out or damaged reeds.

Offshore24, I think your right. You'll get the biggest gains on the larger displacements.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll take all the gains I can. Mainly looking to improve bottom end on the big triple so those big twins don't have so much of a hole shot when blasting across a field or lake.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts