Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I've been reading quite a bit on this forum about Ski Doo's recommended BR9ECS plugs and the suggested alternatives that some forum members have offered. It appeared that folks had been making recommendations based on their personal experiences but I couldn't find where anyone had offerend input from BRP nor NGK.

A little history first....A few years back I purchased a 1995 Indy RXL from a relative who claimed it was "mint"....well, it wasn't and I fouled a lot of plugs. So I switched to NGK's Iridium plug and it worked miracles on that machine.

Anyway, last season I purchased two sleds, a 2002 MXZ800 and a 2002 MXZ600 which were running the BR9ECS plugs. I fouled a couple of plugs (usually during warmup) and thought that maybe the BR9EIX Iridium plugs would solve problems. But before I jumped in and made a mistake, I decided to ask NGK if this swap would be considered acceptable. Following is the response:

Hello,

I would not recommend replacing a BR9ECS-5 with another spark plug.
BR9ECS-5 uses a special low angle ground electrode design. This is for
better transference of heat away from the ground electrode. Other plugs
with a more conventional ground electrode design may overheat and cause
plug and engine damage. Thank you.

Kristopher Zdral
Technical Support Representative
NGK Spark Plugs (U.S.A.), INC.

Just thought this might offer some assistance.

Thanks!

Minnesoootan

·
Registered
6 Posts
just went to skidoo race school and this it what the said to us " it does not matter which plugs is used the ecs or iridium or the standard es series with all our testing nothing had changed the performance of the engine" this was explained to us for the 440lc and 600 mod race classes so i guess brp has done testing will several types of plugs

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It'd be great if we could get an official response from BRP. I'd really like to switch to a smaller electrode plug to reduce fowling....especially on the 800. The 600 doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

·
Registered
625 Posts
IF you keep fouling your plugs jet down.No plug can last long if it is receiving more gas than it can handle.We use the ECS's in our sleds and never fouled one plug in 2 years of raceing BRP.This includes practicing on woodchips on an 80 degree day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts