Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum. I'm about to drop some money into my machine (1997 MM 700) with a bar rising kit. I'd like to purchase this one: http://www.jspowersports.com/riserblock.htm

It's the very first one, non pivoting.

29.95+
------

My question is do I need the brake cable extensions for my machine. Do I even need throttle extensions for my sled? It would save me a butt load of money.

I can't really measure because my sled is at my Dad's house. All the responses would help! Thanks!

Oh and it's a 3" extension!

·
Registered
567 Posts
3 inch is really pushin it with out the extensions usually 2 is the most you can go idk about the yamahas tho i know cat and polaris 2 in is tight. i found an extended length throttle cable on ebay for 18 bucks and works great for my edge just a suggestion on the ext end of things. and if your gonna raise it go the distance and go to somethin a lil taller

·
Registered
567 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110496866406&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMERFB%3AIID

this is the link for my polaris throttle might wanna try hittin the store up for a throttle that will fit your MM

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a three inch riser on my 2003 viper 700 and i only needed to extend my oil injection cable. I would buy the riser first and try it out before you waste any money on the cables and line. There should be two cables going up to your throttle on the handle bars one is for the carb the other is for the oil injection. Don't bother with the cheap a$$ powermadd plastic cable extension. Many people will tell you that they work fine but I would not risk blowing my engine because of a cheap after market piece of plastic. They do not fit exactly anyway. You need to file it so that the cable fits inside. Let us know if you have two cables going up to your throttle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BAMT700 said:
I have a three inch riser on my 2003 viper 700 and i only needed to extend my oil injection cable. I would buy the riser first and try it out before you waste any money on the cables and line. There should be two cables going up to your throttle on the handle bars one is for the carb the other is for the oil injection. Don't bother with the cheap a$$ powermadd plastic cable extension. Many people will tell you that they work fine but I would not risk blowing my engine because of a cheap after market piece of plastic. They do not fit exactly anyway. You need to file it so that the cable fits inside. Let us know if you have two cables going up to your throttle.
Alright, will do.

·
Registered
368 Posts
97 mm is borderline needing extensions, and yes its a 2 cable setup, one for the throttle and the other for the oil pump. with some creative cable routing and breakline routing, its close. just be sure and check for any binding by testing a full range of bar motion. just did a 5" on a 2000 mm and throttle cable was all that was needed. make sure your tors is connected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
snowdad4 said:
97 mm is borderline needing extensions, and yes its a 2 cable setup, one for the throttle and the other for the oil pump. with some creative cable routing and breakline routing, its close. just be sure and check for any binding by testing a full range of bar motion. just did a 5" on a 2000 mm and throttle cable was all that was needed. make sure your tors is connected.
Any ideas on where I could get an oil pump extension?

And I wouldn't need an extended brake cable?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Student Driver said:
The 97 is 2" max rise on the stock set up.
You need both throttle/oiler cables, and the brake line too. (assuming that everything is stock and original on your sled)
Sorry I'm not really familiar with the oil cable. Are the throttle and oil cable the same?

·
Registered
368 Posts
do not buy any extensions for any cables on a yamaha. longer cables for both the throttle and oil pump are availalable oem from different models. yamahas are not like other sleds that have a junction box from the factory(junction boxes are a poor setup and a designed failure. for the price of some aftermarket extensions, you can put oem cables on. dont care who you are, you cannot replicate the quality that yamaha puts in to the oem parts.

·
Registered
269 Posts
on both my 2001mm i run a 3" riser block. when you undo the handle bar there is a pin on the back that we take off and rotate the handlebars forward. gives you even more height. i dunno if the 1997 is the same but hey hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
leadfoot33 said:
on both my 2001mm i run a 3" riser block. when you undo the handle bar there is a pin on the back that we take off and rotate the handlebars forward. gives you even more height. i dunno if the 1997 is the same but hey hope this helps
I will definitely check that out!

·
Registered
269 Posts
ya we found that out when we took them apart and got around i think it was 33" or 36" from trailing arm bolt to centreof handle bar. just check and see how far ya can rotate them as the cables are tight but it works just fine. no binding or anything

1 - 15 of 15 Posts