Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was running my '01 XC700 on the stand tonight and the brake indicator light came on and won't go off. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else out there? Could it be something serious or just a loose connection. I could'nt see anything loose when looking things over. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
here's my thought , although it's actually only a guess. when the 2 strke oil was low in the bag the brake warning light comes on. another thought : when you had the rear of the sled off the grd to run it the oil in the bag ran to the frt allowing the sensor to come on. hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Check your brake light switch. Make sure the switch is returning when you release the brake lever. Pull on the lever, you should be able to feel and/or hear an audible click when pulling the lever. Or at least i can on my Triumph. And I believe we have the same brake system, the Polaris/Hayes system. Thats where i would start anyways....im guessing the switch is probably stuck.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
My guess would be the oil thing... Unless on your sled you have a designated oil light...

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I believe there is a seperate oil light(but I will double check that) and the tank is about full but I did have the oil tank/airbox replaced this year since it had a crack in the seem and was leaking oil into the airbox. You can hear the switch clicking when you apply and let off the brake. I suppose there could be something wrong inside of the switch or if it does go along with the oil it may not have been bled properly?

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Well you may have answered your question right there... If there is not a seperate oil light then, when the oil resevour was replaced maybe the sensor wasn't hooked up again properly.. Just throwing out ideas...

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I would check the brakelight switch with and ohm meter and go from there. Any switch or sensor can be eliminated by jumping across the leads and seeing if the symptoms of the problem change.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Simple. Pull the bulb!

Only kidding! If the brakes are working properly and the fluid is full with no air in the system, sounds like a falty switch/unit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This happened on my Yamaha. There was a short in the brake wire that runs under the seat to the rear of the sled. A small section of the wire casing wore off due to vibration and shorted on the top side of the steel tunnel (between the seat assembly and the tunnel). I replaced the wire from dash to tail and ran it inside a 1/4" polyethylene water line as a protector and haven't had a problem since. I'm not too sure on how the wires run on your machine but it is probably similar to the Yamaha. Take the seat off and check it out, it may be a quick-fix. On mine the brake mechanism was obviously not engaged (I disconnected the brake cable to test it) and the light still came on.

Hope this helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts