Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My machine loses brake fluid, I haven't got to taking the brake out yet. They work fine but over a period of about a day riding I gradually lose brake. Top up the fluid and I'm good for another day. I'll need to fix this and am wondering if anyone might be able to point me in the right direction as to what I'll probably have to replace or repair. It doesn't apperar to leak anywhere around the master cylinder at the handle bars.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Look down around the calipers under the hood for a wet spot. Could be a hose or cylinder seal down by the disk. I don't know what your mechanical ability is but, this might be something you want to take to the dealer since it's a safety issue.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had the same problem and I found the leak where the brake line goes into the caliper. Be carefull when you are either tightening or taking it off as its brass and can easily break in the caliper (I overtighened and it broke, had to drill it out) Watch you don't get any fluid on your brake pads.

cd

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i would say that if you can spot no leakage at the resivior on the handle bars, and you see no leaks on the line running towards the caliper, and its not leaking at the line nut at the caliper, then quite possible it is the caliper itself, by this like mentioned before, the seal around the piston in the caliper is bad. it is a very easy fix, and sled brakes are very easy to bleed out yourself, i hav edone it countless times. and if you do happen to get some fluid on the brake pads, just clean them with rubbing alcohol, as well as your brake rotor, also clean the rotor, to remove any oils from your hands as well as any grease, like i said, rubbing alcohol is the best product to use, or you could use some brake cleaner and a wipe clean with a rag. good luck

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I've had a similar situation.

One in resulted in finding a faulty brake light switch, which is mounted on the caliper and is seperate from the brake line. The switch itself cracked on the backside and slowly leaked fluid when the brakes were applied. I simply installed a new switch and bled the line, it worked great. Just double check if you have a similar situation.

This was on my older Polaris.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Just a helpfull note. Brake fluid can damage surfaces badly. It's a good idea to have a spray bottle of a soap mixture ready to spray on any spills. This will neutralize the fluid. I'm sure you have probably seen a sled with a faded or pitted master cylinder, that's from the fluid.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds Great thanks. I'll have a look at it soon.
Anytime it is an inexpensive fix it means another
tank of fuel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MegaMan was right. I took it apart tonight leaking switch. I'll have to pick one up. Thanks.[^]

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I just love it when guys come back and say what was wrong after the problem is fixed. It satisfies my curiousity and helps out others who might have a similiar problem.

Thanks Spud!!

From a guy who loves to fix stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts