Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the brake light on my ext doesnt come on...if i pull in the brake handle it flickers sometimes but thats it....the brake light glows a bright red as if the brake lever was always pulled in...what can it be??....i also hear a squeak at the end of the stearing stem wear the tie rods connect...i sprayed some silicone on them and the squeak doesnt go away...also there is a little play in them but im wondering if its normal??

Duct tape the only real solution

·
Registered
948 Posts
Not knowing the year, I'm assuming you have a mechanical braking system and not hydraulic. First thing I'd check is open the hood and remove the two wires to the brake light microswitch. This should be near the end of the brake cable.

If your brake light goes out and just the tail light stays on then it could be a couple thing like the adjustment on that switch or the brakes are too tight to begin with. Then try pushing that switch in yourself as far as it goes. Then try touching the two wire ends together. See if anything changes.

Try that first as it's and easy test to rule out the switch.

Other than that, could just be a faulty ground somewhere or an exposed wire.

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry...my sled is a 1995 ext 580 i will try that and see what happens

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
This might sound dumb, but you didn't say you changed the bulb.
sometimes the filaments will cross when they break making them do funny things.
Good way to track down a squeek is take some new clean sled fuel line and stick one end in your ear, then have someone turn the bars to make it squeek and use the hose to listen in close to find exactly where it is.
Good luck,
Kev

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Even if he did replace the bulb, it is possible to install them backwards if you try hard enough. So instead of the tail light running all the time it may be that the brake light is running. Try taking the bulb out and turning it 180 degrees and re-installing it. Also it could be that the voltage regulator is gone making the tail-light extra-bright. But of course all other lights would be brighter also and they would be prone to burning out quickly.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
ya, first thing i would do is check the bulb, they can do funny things sometimes, w/o any warning, they just get messed up...lol...then go to the wiring if that doesnt help. I think on my 99 there is a button the brake lever hits right on the bar, they are hydraulic brakes tho. look for broke wires, or ones that look abnormal, exposed wires, and stuff like that. if u have a 12V tester u can use that to see whats goin on w/ the power when ur hittin ur breaks and stuff...

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i did buy a brand new bulb for it and i messed with that already so it isnt the bulb i know for a fact it isnt it hasta be a bad ground or something with the wiriing...ill check into it and thanks for the siggestions

1 - 7 of 7 Posts