Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 96 polaris 440 sport. I have a light in the dash when the brake is on. I noticed the light in the dash wasnt working one night so i looked at the tail light, and that wasnt on either[:(!]. brake works just no light. The bulb is good. any comments?

·
Registered
105 Posts
connection come loose? normally if it's something like the regulator, youll lose all your lights.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive already had to change the regulator at the beginning of the year, but it just come to me that could there be a fuseable link?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
on the side of the caliper is a sensor, its round, there should be a flat plug with 2 wires comming out of it, i think the plug is brown plastic color, look to see if it isnt un hooked, if it is still hooked up, then chances are the sensor itself is bad. basically this is like the brake light switch on the brake pedal of a car, it senses pressure at the caliper when the brake is applied, if in fact you have to change this, you will prolly need to bleed out the brake line, not a big deal, pretty simple. also, along side the seat Uright side when sitting) there is a black 3 pin connector, approx behind the gas tank, if you have the seat where the cover unsnaps to reviel the gas tank, take it off and check this connection as well, once in awhile they have been known to come apart. plug it back in, if this doesnt work, take your seat off and ceck the wires that lead to the light. look for any bare spots where it could be grounding out on the tunnel. hope this helps

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
the seat comes off real easy, there are 2 bolts in the rear seat compartment, (above the taillight), take those out, then slide the seat towards the rear of the sled, if the tailight connector is hooked up, you should only be able to slide the seat so far, so watch for that

·
Registered
78 Posts
Check what xltman says, same thing happened to my Yamaha. Wire slipped out of the grooves in the bottom of the seat assembly and wore a bare spot in the insulation & grounded out to tunnel. Hope this helps

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i havent been able to work on it yet cause its 300 miles away at my cabin, but if those connectors, either by the lever or under the seat, were disconnected, would that affect my regular taillight running lights on the two sides of my tailight

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
prolly the tailight only, and running lights, i think there are only 3 wires in that grouping, a ground, one for running, one for tail, one for brake. its possible that only the wire that controls the brake light is grounding out, if you still have taillights, but no brake when you pull the lever, then its prollly up under the hood somewhere, check the connector at the brake caliper, like i said before, there is a 2 wire connector that plugs into the caliper, look around the coolant tank(or oil bottle on fan cooled) there is a round sensor, with 2 pins on it, tell you what, i go out and take a pic of mine, maybe this will help u out more, then post it./snofan/../images/users/xltman/caliper.jpg
the red arrow shows the sensor in question, it is located on the seat side of the caliper, look in the key switch area, you will see wires etc. kinda hard to show, but it is in there.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I agree that it is the switch or the connection. You can test this easily by jumping the two wires from the switch. If you have brake lights then the switch is bad, if you don't then there is a break in the circuit somewhere.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got it to work. two plugs on the backside of the chaincase were out. plugged both of them in and now its working. thanks alot xltman

1 - 12 of 12 Posts