Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All those 96 XLT SP owners please read!!!! I'm wondering if any of you have has any problems with running a Dayco MAX-1105? I remember last time I rode in March, I put a new one of these on (for the hell of it) and I remember the belt slipping. You could smell the belt burning a little bit too. I put the old belt back on which was still good. That one is an Ultimax by Dayco. I know the two belts are very different. The belt only slipped when starting out from a stop when crossing the road.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Hmmmm, I've run the regular Daco Max before, and I seem to remember it slip a bit from a dead stop as well. I run the Ultra Max now, and haven't had any problems with slipping since.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, from a dead stop. Especially when it took a little more gas to get going. I thought I was imagining it. Guess I'll have to stick with the Ultimax. The XLT SP is somewhat of a high performance trail sled and that is what the Ultimax is made for or so they say.

So how was your year up in Maine? Get much snow?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Great year snow wise, we got tons! Bad year sled wise. The first day of my week long sled trip in Feb I blew a piston. Had it rebuilt that afternoon and attempted to ride the next day. But it never ran right after the rebuild. Kept fouling plugs. I went through 15 in that one day I tried to ride. Needless to say my vacation was a bust!

Soooooo, I was planning on buying a new one for this coming season, but I bought a new truck last month. So the new sled will have to wait till next year. I'll strip the XLT donwn and rebuild it (again....) and have it ready to go come the first snow fall.

You guys must of had quite a bit of snow in PA.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear about the piston. Didn't you just rebuild the motor 2 years ago? What do you think caused the piston to go?

Yeah we had a great year in North East PA. Only wish I had a trailer. There are some groomed rail road beds about an hour from my house that I would have liked to hit but there was more snow than we knew what to do with! Truely a great year!

I've only had the sled for 2 years but hadn't had the chance to take it out on the lake. This year I finally did. It was a blast!!!!! I run with 2 guys. One who has a 99 AC ZRT 600 and another who has a 93 XLT SP. I think I saw 95 on the speedo and they touted 100 + (if you can believe the speedo). It was the first chance I had to do this and it was unbelievable! A little scary also I must admit. Actually I thought I'd hit 100 with no problem but I guess it takes time to get up to speed.

Well now is the time to think about maintenance and get some questions answered so we can be ready for next year.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Originally posted by XLT SP Yeah!
[br]Sorry to hear about the piston. Didn't you just rebuild the motor 2 years ago? What do you think caused the piston to go?
Yes, I just rebuilt it LAST fall. It was running great, but I did have a small leak near the left front cylinder. It was spewing out that oily redidue crap. However I couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from. I assumed it was only from the head pipe gasket and was only exhaust blow by. I assumed wrong. Come to find out it was a defective base gasket on the left side. Needless to say that was the piston that went. Live and learn.

Yeah, getting up to top speed is a blast. On a nice plowed drag strip on one of the lakes around here, I've seen 106-107 on the speedo. So I'm pretty sure I'm at least cracking the centry mark.

I've got all summer to work on the sled and I hope to add some "go-fast" mods to it as well. Can't wait!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What type of mods you planning on? I know I will be short on cash so I will be looking to do some simple things. I was thinking going with a higher octane gas to start. I was also thinking of going with graphite slides/hyfax. What's your experience with these?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with the graphite slides, so I really couldn't comment on them. But the theory behind them seems sound.

Oh lets see....I'll be adding a multi angle helix to complete my "clutch kit", I've already got the new springs in the primary and secondary. I was thinking of trying the UFO's by Thunder Products. I've heard both good and bad about them, but there seems to be more good, as long as you have your carbs tuned correctly.

I'll also probably install a TempaFlow from Holtzman Engineering. That should come in handy here in the north east. One day its 30F and the next it could be -15F, so that should help. I might install a few more studs in my track. I've got 96 in Woody's aggressive pattern now, so we'll see on that one. I'd also like to put on some plastic skiis as well, with some new carbide runners.

That will probably be it for performance mods.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Hey Guys,

I have a 95 XLT sp
I am planning on adding an epi clutch setup, possible triple pipes and porting this year. Next year i plan on replacing IFS, Radius Rods, Tie rods with light weight components. I also plan on a Boss seat.

This past year was SLP SLT ski's, 3 inch riser, aluminum Tunnel grip, new handlebar's. I too am curious what others plan to do.

I am going to try to put a pic in, but i have been having problems putting them in posts. i do have pics in my profile though.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmmm... Tempaflow? Is that exhaust?

By the way Darkstar, nice looking sled! I would love to paint my hood screens purple or teal but can't find that color.

How much for a set of plastic skis?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
The SLP SLT's were 350.00 if i remeber correctly.

Yep i too plan to add a tempaflow. The tempaflow automatically adjusts your jetting by monitoring the air temp. Vairflow monitors Temp and Altitude. Dial a Jet allows you to manually Richen or Lean out using 5 settings. The tempaflow seems to be the best bet for flatlanders and the Variflow for the Mountain Riders.

You should be able to get the color you are looking for through the dealer or at least get the color info so someone could make it.

Thanks for the compliment on the sled. It came to me completely stock last fall with 944 original miles on it. It sat for 4-5 years.

·
Registered
528 Posts
In response to the orginal post about the Dayco Belt slipping. In my experience I have had several problems with aftermarket belts and now purchase only factory replacement belts. I do have some aftermarket belts that I use for a spares but when the factory belt is worn out I purchase another factory belt. I have had over-revving, clutch slipage, and a primary sheave disintegrate with aftermarket belts. My clutches were well serviced and alignments were on spec.

I have spoken to many others who have experienced problems with aftermarket belts and will only use factory belts.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My neighbor who owns and AC ZRT is the same way. He only buys AC replacement belts. The other neighbor has a sled like mine but older and the engine is smaller by about 20CCs. He runs the Max 1105 but I'm wondering if the sled being older and the power less, that's why he can get away with the aftermarket belt.

·
Registered
528 Posts
How much more is it for an AC Belt?

I had a ton of trouble with an Ultimax on my Yamaha 500 XT, slipping and over-rev. No trouble at all with the Yamaha belt. The Yami and the Dayco cost about the same.

I put a Ultimax on my Vmax-4 and my inner primary sheave disintegrated about 100 miles later. It was probably just a coincidence but it could have been from slipage and the heat build up associated with it. The Yami belt is double the price of the Dayco.

It should mention that I keep my clutches aligned and serviced. I also had trouble with a Goodyear belt on the 500 XT.

I'm sold on factory belts. I'm also sure that there are a lot of people who have had good results with aftermarket belts. Dayco actually makes some of Yamaha's belts but they are made to Yamaha spec.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Here's a picture of my sheave that disintegrated. I should have taken a picture of the mess that it made! Like I said before it was probably just a coincidence but I'm not taking the chance.

/snofan/../images/users/Canuck/Sheave-Small.JPG

[red]FYI - Whatever belt you choose make sure that you wash and dry it before installing it. Use warm water and soap to remove any residue off the belt.[/red]

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Wow Canuck, I've never seen a primary look like that! How fast were you going when it let go?

I will say that I attempted to put an UltraMax (UltiMax...whatever the heck it is) on my father's 1990 Exciter. The belt was the correct number, but was so tight that it engaged the clutches as soon as you turned the engine over. Had to go with a factory Yamaha belt and it worked fine. Clutches were aligned perfectly as well.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The middle was mostly dust, I found a few pieces that were about the size of a 1/8" pebble.

It let go on a lake at about 50 mph, it started to smoke like it was on fire. Luckily it didn't let go at 100 mph!

Under the hood was a total mess, it looked so bad that I didn't even want to take a picture of it. A combination of aluminum dust and burned belt.

The one cut that you see on the inner piece is where I split it to take it off. I cut it with a hacksaw until I got close to the spider threads then I split it with a big screwdriver.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I don't think it ate through the clutch. Primary clutch sheaves do stress crack and fail on occasion, especially on high HP sleds. This was kind of an unusual failure, given the way that it failed. This was not a high mile sled and it did not have an aggressive clutch engagement.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts