Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
around 600 miles
but you could get away with about 200 of nice riding not 100 mph across a lake you know what i mean

·
Registered
43 Posts
I run an 04 RX-1, 600-1000 miles will do, ensure you constantly change your rpm's levels, I tryed this method and I've yet to have any problems, no oil consumption at all, fuel mileage is great 20-21MPG I changed my training oil out at 500 miles, Yamalube 0-S oil and change filter (a pain in the *ss) and check your chaincase, adjust if necessary. and continue to ride, no prolonged high speeds, variability is the key. You'll love your new 4 stroke. cheers and let it snow

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just picked up my 07 Apex Mountain last night and the owners manual is this:

0-100 miles - no extended time over 6000 RPM
100-300 miles - no extended time over 8000 RPM

Full oil and filter change at 500 miles.

Good luck... I get to ride my new one tomorrow for the first time!!!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
when i braek in my phazer it was 150km of under 8000 rpm's then from 150 to 500km no extended WOT runs

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
0-300 miles: Avoid prolonged operation above 1/2 throttle
300-500 miles: Avoid prolonged operation above 3/4 throttle
500-700 miles: Avoid prolonged full-throttle operation
After 700 miles you can run it as hard as you want.
One other thing worth mentioning is that occasional wide-open blasts are OK and are actually good because they help the rings seat better. Just dont run it wide-open for any longer than 10 seconds untill it has more than 700 miles on it.
Also, for at least the first 300 miles you should try to vary the speed and throttle position and dont ride it like a grandma. Babying your sled at first is just as bad for it as running it hard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
riding your sleds like pussies to break them in is actually the worst thing you can do, beside driving at constant rpm.
check out http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
i broke in my r6 sportbike as per motoman's recomendations and my bike runs real strong with no oil comsumption

·
Registered
84 Posts
Break in on modern engines IMO is a good way for manufacturers to kill their warranty period. Since the exit of the flat-tappet roller cam and noncoated iron piston rings, there is virtually nothing in an engine that needs broken in. The break-in on the cylinder walls happens in probably about 30seconds, and there is obvioulsy no flattappet cam to break in, so why have such a huge retarded breakin period? So people that dont ride very much waste their whole warranty period riding like a btch.

Im not saying dont break it in at all, the best thing you can do for an engine is use engine braking as much as you can for a little while. Where do they come up with 100 miles under 6krpm and 200 more miles under 8krpm anyway, those are totally arbitrary numbers. I did about 60 miles of sub 8k varying throttle, now im riding like normal.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Originally posted by nytroking002
[br]i ran my sled like a grandma for the first 10 miles then i went wide open with it and runs great.
Hahaha i couldnt wait either

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Originally posted by jonaddis84
[br]Break in on modern engines IMO is a good way for manufacturers to kill their warranty period. Since the exit of the flat-tappet roller cam and noncoated iron piston rings, there is virtually nothing in an engine that needs broken in. The break-in on the cylinder walls happens in probably about 30seconds, and there is obvioulsy no flattappet cam to break in, so why have such a huge retarded breakin period? So people that dont ride very much waste their whole warranty period riding like a btch.

Im not saying dont break it in at all, the best thing you can do for an engine is use engine braking as much as you can for a little while. Where do they come up with 100 miles under 6krpm and 200 more miles under 8krpm anyway, those are totally arbitrary numbers. I did about 60 miles of sub 8k varying throttle, now im riding like normal.
Whats weird is that my YZ 250F had a suggested break-in time of 30 minutes. They said during that time you should run it between 1/4 and 3/4 throttle with occasional wide-open blasts of 10 seconds and that after 30 minutes you should change the oil, clean the air filter, retorque all the fasteners and the bike is ready to race.
In comparison, the YFZ 450 that I owned suggested 10 hours for break-in time and that during the time you should vary the throttle and avoid prolonged full-throttle operation.
It seems weird that those 3 different engines have vastly different break-in periods.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ride it like you stole it. I put the first 300 miles on my viper hard and fast. WOT and hole shots. Not gonna baby a sled. break it in how you plan on riding it is my motto(that came from a buddy of mine who works on sleds)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Originally posted by stretchSXV
[br]Ride it like you stole it. I put the first 300 miles on my viper hard and fast. WOT and hole shots. Not gonna baby a sled. break it in how you plan on riding it is my motto(that came from a buddy of mine who works on sleds)
Thats fine on a 2-stroke, but if you do that on a 4-stroke you will end up with an oil burner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The manual even says that from 0-100 miles a person shouldn't ride at anything over 6000 rpms and from 100-300 miles they shouldn't run it at anything over 8000 rpms. Now on that the Phazer has this high reving engine 8000 rpms is only around 23 mph so if you are to break it according to the manual I hope you took a couple of days off from work. I rode mine 50 miles under 8000 rpms and rode it like I always do, which really isn't flat out pegging it across the lake, just ditch banging. I guess that's what a warranty is for, if anything breaks then it's fixed for free, as you can see there are many different "ways" to break it in, I think it's personal preference and what you prefer to believe.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
LOL...No kidding. That Phazer motor just starts to hit it's powerband at 8,000 rpm so its gotta be pure agony trying to keep it under 6,000 rpms for the first 100 miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts