Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my sled back from the shop and i had a warped piston sleeve thing and they had to bore it out so do they have to bore them all out if they bored one. its a 1991 Polaris Indy 650 triple. And also what should i do to break it in when i get it back? thanks

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Put oil in the gas, and hold it for 1000 feet every couple miles, it burp the gas, i'de run one tank through it like that, then run it how you normally would with oil in the gas for another tank, then you are done.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks........but does anyone know when they bore 1 piston sleeve out do they have to bore all three or can it run with only 1 bored piston and 2 regular pistons? thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much oil should i put about every 5 gallons? what do you mean hold in for 1000 feet.....and what does burp the gas mean? Im not a big snowmobile guru! thanks

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
There should be no problem running one cylinder bored and the others stock. As long as you reliaze that when you are buying parts. be sure and install the right parts in the right place.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would use the oil Like XLT said , and treat it like a new motor. It won't bother the two non-bored cly at all. When you are done breakin in the motor change your plugs.
I put about an ounce or two of oil per tank in a broken-in motor, just so I have a peace of mind. It might not do anything but in my head, I think it does.
Small things /small minds. Call me Charlie Brown - Peanut brain, LOL.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I run 50:1 for the first tank during the break-in (50 parts gas to 1 part oil). Be sure to vary the throttle position frequently (not constantly). While running the pre-mixed gas, keep an eye on your oil tank to be sure that the level is going down over time. If its not it usually means there is an air bubble in one of your oil lines and it needs to be bled more. The pre-mix gas is a good insurance policy for a new engine.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Ya the extra oil does go in the gas tank.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Guys it should be said that you have to bore all cylinders to the same size when you rebuild an engine. Other wise your engine will run like crap. It will be totally out of balance because the larger piston will weigh more than the other disturbing the rotational balance. Also one cylinder will be making slightly more power than the other. And it sounds like you have the break in thing all figured out

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Intuition would say that in a 8000 rpm sled motor, but every rebuild shop i've ever seen will do one size difference and say it'll run A-Ok...

-Dean

1 - 20 of 26 Posts