Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall, i was wondering how to break in my sled. i just put a new cyl. and pistion in my 1996 xcr 680 ultra. (long story) i was wondering how to break it in? i already put some extra oil in the tank. but iv heard of a coupel different ways of breaking them in. my dad insits that i go really easy on it. but lets face it im 18 and and what to teens wanna do? go real fast. but a local racer said just add som extra oil in the tank n drive it normal. anthoer way i heard was to vary your rpms all the time and dont hold it wide open for more then 20 seconds. what do yall think i should do?

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
your off to a good start, mix oil in with your first tank of gas and ride it easy for 200 miles "you can open it up but not for a long strech of time" After that hit the throttle like theirs no tommarow [:D]...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Presuming you have not run it yet, the first hour or so is really critical to setting the rings properely. Vary the throttle speed- up and down never wide
openand let your hand off the throttle let the sled coast because deceleration is important as well. Premix for a tank or so and your golden. Watch the plugs and change em after the break in tank or sooner if needed. What I read, what it says on the piston instructions and owners /maint. manuals.
Good luck!![:D]

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i took her for a rip today and all i can say was i was smiling from ear to ear the whole time. we went out on a lake, it was all bare except for a strip around it about 50 feet wide, so we did some donuts n some drags. my bro rolled his n cracked his hood up thanks for ur imput guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts