Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 xlt that I rebuilt (new pistons, rings gaskets etc) Also had the cylinders honed. How much oil for the first tank? Will my compression increase after break-in?--Thanks

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
You can ask 20 people that same question and get 20 different answers. This is what I would do. Put a pint of oil in your first tank of gas and top off the oil injection. After the first 2 to 3 miles stop and check for leaks then drive it normal. It doesn't take much to brake in a set of rings. After the first tank of gas check the oil level to make sure you are pumping oil.
Riley

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
X2 with asking 20 different people this question.

This is what was suggested when I asked the same question for a ves motor. Being you don't have the valves to be concerned with, I assume you aren't running synthetic after the break-in. I run 1-2 tanks of 50:1 premix using petroleum based 2 cycle oil in the injection tank as well as the premix. Make sure all along that the oil injection system is working properly.

I've talked to some who "ride it like they stole it" right out of the box. That is how I break in a new sled/motor. I do not baby the engine when breaking it in, ride it how you normally do. But, give it 2 or 3 hot/cold cycles just idling, or revving on the stand before riding it. Start it, and let it get to normal engine temps, then shut it off and let it cool off until it is at ambient temp. Then repeat 2 more times.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
i do a couple heat cycles on the warm up stand to check for leaks and to break in the pistons. then ride it like any other sled.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
madcow said:
i do a couple heat cycles on the warm up stand to check for leaks and to break in the pistons. then ride it like any other sled.
madcow, will compression increase after breakin?--Thanks

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I will give the different answer. They way I've been told is, mix first tank 50:1 Premium (I always run premium). During that first tank of driving, vary the throttle a lot, crack it wide open once and a while for no more than 5 seconds. Dont do any long races. Just keep that throttle moving and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Yes, there are many different answers and yes, they "can be" correct. One thing to keep in mind when breakin' in a motor like yours, use a non synthetic based oil till you feel comfortable with the break in. I've seen many cylinders where the break in was "ride it like you stole it", and you find heat marks in the cylinders. These are Black spots imbedded into the nickasyl, and you might as well junk the cylinder. My advise to you, get 5 gallons of Race Fuel, add 2 oz of non synthetic oil per gallon, and break the motor in on a stand in your garage. Vary throttle after fully warmed up. Race Gas has a complete burn at a lower temp, reduces detonation, and your XLT motor will eat it up!! After you have successfully broke the motor in, drop some oil down the plug holes, pull the rip cord a few times, and stuff your carb throats, you don't want the crank to get any condensation in where it can Rust

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
No synthetic.
Synthetic does not let the rings seat very easily, and you will have more blow by. BTW: Your XLT does not have nikasil cylinders. You may know this, but 1 post mentioned nikasil and it does not apply in this application. Letting the motor go through the 2-3 heat cycles by allowing it to idle and/or light revving and totally cool reduces the worries of breaking it in too hard.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tnmemr said:
No synthetic.
Synthetic does not let the rings seat very easily, and you will have more blow by. BTW: Your XLT does not have nikasil cylinders. You may know this, but 1 post mentioned nikasil and it does not apply in this application. Letting the motor go through the 2-3 heat cycles by allowing it to idle and/or light revving and totally cool reduces the worries of breaking it in too hard.
What about compression, will it increase after brake in?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts