Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a polaris dx touring sled and the dvd and manual both tell me for break in of the engine the first tank of gas I should run premixed gas in addition to the oil injection. My question is won't this be hard on the plugs like fouling? I just don't wanna have problems the first time out. Thanks

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
well, dont use like 10:1 or anything, just like an ounce of oil to a full tank of gas. and make sure to go slow for like 10-50miles. plugs shouldnt foul if you dont use too much oil

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Its very important to pre-mix the first tank. You should use 1 pint for every 5 gallons, so if you filled it full it would need about a quart of oil mixed in with the gas. Use the polaris blue oil, you shouldn't use synthetics to break it in. This may cause some plug fouling, but plugs are cheap and easy to change.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
fouling a plug should be the least of your worries, as a rule of thumb you always carry spares anyways. Just pay attention more on breaking the sled in right.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Just mix it at 32:1 or 50:1. Check your owner's manual for the exact amount of oil you should be mixing though. Its been about 7 years since I owned a new sled, so Im not 100% sure which ratio you should mix it at. You definetely want to premix the first tank though. Ive never fouled out a plug by premixing the first tank and as long as you arent putt-putting around you should be fine.
What you should be more worried about it breaking the motor in right. Vary the speed and throttle position and dont run it wide-open for more than 5 seconds.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Be sure to top off you injection oil and a premix of 50:1 is more than adequate. Run your sled until the first fill up and check your injection to be sure the level is dropping. as long as it is you are good to go. With everything having nicasil cylinders and such break in happens real fast. The biggest rule of thumb is always allow your sled a good warm up before hitting it hard. All my race engines, dirtbikes or Go-karts. The only breakin was when the gate dropped or the parade lap before the start and I never had any issues. The only thing back then was with the steel cylinder sleeves was after a fresh bore or a new motor was after the first few hours of good hard use was to tear em down and run a ridgid hone to true up the cylinder. Put new rings in and your good to go for long long time!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
^Im surprised how little break-in time even 4-stroke dirtbikes require. Everone I know with a Yamaha 4-stroke sled says it takes at least 500-1000 miles for the motor to break in, but in the owner's manual for my bike it says it only needs about 30 minutes of break-in time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts