Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i broke it to day so i guess I'm in the market for a new sled.
i don't really know what happened to it it rattled for a sec and then went bang!!! i tried to pull it over but no luck [:(]the thing is shot so i guess i need some advice in what to do ... the bad thing about the hole thing is i only put 76 miles on it [:(!]i went to the dealer ware i got it and they said they would see what they could do. what that means i don't know ... i really let them have it so they know I'm mad about the hole thing...

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
my guess would be a crank or piston, a friend of mine had the oil pump cable come loose and fall off, resulting in a burnt piston and gouged cylinder. sucks that you only got to put 76 miles on it though

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I'm hopeing that doesn't happen when I start up my powder special. That could cost alot of money to fix unless you do it yourself. It wouuld save you alot of money to do it your self, I did, how hard could it be? (with the help of someone that knows lots about engines)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
maybe you shouldnt of drove it so early

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why would i hold off on driveing it we have a foot plus of snow and it been in the low 20s

·
Registered
359 Posts
Originally posted by ski-dooguy
[br]maybe you shouldnt of drove it so early
If it was going to go, it doesn't matter when you drive it. If a component is nearing its failure point, it's a ticking time bomb, only question is when do you light the fuse. It def sounds like a crank bearing went bad. What was the engine speed when the rattling started?

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Isn't that why you buy a sled from a dealer vs. individual? You pay more from a dealer because they give you a little warranty.

Sorry to hear of your loss (that sounds like a funeral)

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Originally posted by catmandu170
[br]
Originally posted by ski-dooguy
[br]maybe you shouldnt of drove it so early
If it was going to go, it doesn't matter when you drive it. If a component is nearing its failure point, it's a ticking time bomb, only question is when do you light the fuse. It def sounds like a crank bearing went bad. What was the engine speed when the rattling started?
If a crank bearing went what be be the reason he can't pull over the engine? I'm wondering because I have a feeling that my crank bearing is a ticking time bomb also. I just had the lower end apart and the crank out and can feel aluminum shavings in it when I turn the bearing. I also took off one of the bearings that are not pressed on the crank and washed it in varsol and shavings came out of it. The best I could do is soak the ones that are pressed on, which made them smoother. I just can't afford to have my crank pressed apart and pressed back together right now. I guess what happens, happens right? I hope it just doesn't go on the powerlines in shebandowan in 3ft of powder.

sledcrew
you probably blew a crank or a rod or a piston. Sorry to hear that.
Sounds like you know what your talking about[:p] It is OK to not know. You do not have to answer everything. It is not expected of you or anyone, thats why people ask questions.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Thats some really bad luck. Hope your dealer treats you right and gets you back on the snow again soon.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well im fixing to take it apart in a littel bit ..
hoping that its not to bad ill take pics of the hole thing

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by mackinsaw

If a crank bearing went what be be the reason he can't pull over the engine? I'm wondering because I have a feeling that my crank bearing is a ticking time bomb also.
most time's when a crank bearing goes. the race falls apart, or the balls get flat spots worn in them allowing them to jam together locking the outer piece of the bearing to the inner piece. simply put when that happens the crank locks up and won't move. Sometimes however a person is able to roll the motor back wards and loosen the crank up, however it typically doesn't last long. a piston that gets too hot from low or no lubrication can on occasion cause enough heat in the cylinder to egg shape it, which in turn wedges the piston inside the cylinder causing the motor to not turn over. As far as you having shavings in the bearings, You pretty much did all that you could do. "clean them up and hope for the best." I would however be saving some $$$ for if/when a bearing lets go. best of luck to both of you guys.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Man, that sucks, you had a really nice sled to. Maybe you will find a nicer one.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Originally posted by 91530ext
[br]well im fixing to take it apart in a littel bit ..
hoping that its not to bad ill take pics of the hole thing

Is the dealer atleast helping you out with the money?!? They damn well better.

·
Registered
764 Posts
If a crank bearing went what be be the reason he can't pull over the engine?
when a bearing piles up all the balls go to one side of the bearing and doesnt allow the bearing to turn at all, resulting in the crank not being able to turn at all either.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
what would the shaving's in the lower end of mackinsaws motor be from??

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
u just started to drive it too it was a nice sled while it lasted. but yet another ski-doo blown up and no polaris yet :D hehehe

1 - 20 of 49 Posts