Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
randomly yesterday while i was taking a hard corner, the bold holding my trailing arm on the front suspension snapped off.. half of the bolt is still held in by the threds... does anyone know how to get this out easily?. thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
look forward to possibly a long weekend of fun! I would start with soaking it with liquid wrench or something. I had one bust on my 97 xlt last winter and It was not fun. I first tried a easy out and heat with no luck. I busted the easy out, then getting it out was a job. finally I drilled the bolt out and re tapped the threads. if your lucky it won't be seized like mine was.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yeah, those can be fun. They are locktited in so they stick good. Use heat on the tube (not the bolt) and if you can get a grab on it with vise-grips maybe you'll get her to turn...if your real lucky, other than that, drill and tap.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
if you have a welder and enough threads are showing sometimes you can weld a bolt head to it and then unbolt it again.

·
Registered
814 Posts
They are "seized" intentionally from the factory with thread locker- you need heat to break the seal on those threads. DO NOT use an easy-out. You will just break that off too and have a bigger problem. There are a lot of people on here that have been through this same problem if you want to do a search and see what has worked- and a lot of things that didn't work. But, having done this a few times, make it easy on yourself: cut a small slot in the end of the broken off bolt with a dremel tool, heat the sleave up red hot from inside the belly-pan, and you can back it out with a screw driver- should take about 10 mins tops.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
TRIPLEB said:
They are "seized" intentionally from the factory with thread locker- you need heat to break the seal on those threads. DO NOT use an easy-out. You will just break that off too and have a bigger problem. There are a lot of people on here that have been through this same problem if you want to do a search and see what has worked- and a lot of things that didn't work. But, having done this a few times, make it easy on yourself: cut a small slot in the end of the broken off bolt with a dremel tool, heat the sleave up red hot from inside the belly-pan, and you can back it out with a screw driver- should take about 10 mins tops.
I have had the same problem when I used to own my 96 XLT SP. What's mentioned above is excellent...just try not to light anything on fire in the process. But definetly do a search...Thereis a lot of good info on this topic opn this site. search "not so easy easy out" by "triplepleasure"

·
Registered
814 Posts
Good point triplsr on lighting things on fire- Ha! I actually lined the bottom of the belly pan with muffler packing material so I didn't melt it!

·
Registered
915 Posts
NEVER USE AN EASYOUT!! Weld a nut on the broken bolt heat and screw it out. If you dont have a welder take it to someone who does

1 - 8 of 8 Posts